Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:27 PM   #1

Are there any other D80 users out there that have this issue? While the review screen shows good looking photos (regardless of the scene/lighting) the transfered images to my computer are 1 to 1 1/2 stops underexposed. Printing these images ends up with the same result-any one else had this issue or perhaps a fix?

Brems
brems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:17 PM   #2
rey

I don't have the D80 (I have the D50), but I learned early on that you can't really trust the small LCD. This line of Nikon tends to underexpose to protect the shadow details. I suggest you judge the exposure using the histogram instead. Also, in general I try to "expose the right" of the histogram.

Good Luck.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3

The lcd "gains up" to give a brighter view, which makes all images look brighter. As was mentioned, using the histogram is the best way to check exposure. Actually, most have complained the D80 overexposes when in matrix mode. I have found the meter pretty close to what I got on my D50, and about a half stop brighter than the d70.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:01 AM   #4

Yes Ive noticed this too. rjseeney seems right as usual. Ive also noticed my white balance can be tricked fairly easaly. Where my d-50 on auto WB was almost always right on.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:04 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
The lcd "gains up" to give a brighter view, which makes all images look brighter.
I noticed that for the first time today with my D50: in one of my shots was a piece of white paper with some writing on it. On the LCD it looks like the paper is completely blank, no matter how far I zoom in, but the writing is present and correct now the image is on the computer :S
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote