Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:14 PM   #1

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question ! I've had an 8800 for 2 years and found it produces excellent landscape and close up pictures. I'm not really interested in sports or indoor photography and so the limitations of this model haven't bothered me. I'm really interested in the D80, but wonder what I would notice if I buy one. I don't print photos and only view them on a computer screen. Would I notice any gains in sharpness ? How about low light conditions ? I've found the flip out LCD on the Coolpix really handy for low level flower shots etc. I presume the LCD on the D80 is fixed ? Any thoughts on the zoom lens included in the package ? And why is the D80 with the smaller zoom more than the larger ?

Thanks, Steve

Coolpix 8800

Coolpix P4

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:22 PM   #2

I upgraded from a Coolpix 5700 to a D70s and never looked back.

Up side: You will see more improvements in photos taken under adverse conditions. You will notice the improved response time when pressing the shutter release. You will be able to acquire lenses that exceed the capabilities of your current camera. You can be more creative with external flash.

On the down side: You will pay more for the camera and lenses. Your photo kit will be heavier. You have to be prepared to post process your photos more to get the best out of them. You have to be prepared to learn the camera to get the most out of it. The LCD is for review only, the one feature I miss!

I feel I gained in the upgrade!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, Bob. Now all I have to do is consider the negative things I've read about the included zoom lens. It seems odd to stick an inferior lens on the end of what is, to me, an expensive camera.

Thanks again, Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

Trust me, for the money the kit lens is good (not great, not incredible, but completely functional). You will be more limited by your skills, than the lens. Use the kit lens, find out what else you may need or where your interest lies. Then, save up and get a better lens once you understand what you need.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote