Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:30 AM   #1

Here are the reasons why I thinkthatit is a very unpopular camera;

The "My camera adviser" at imaging-resource will always recommend the D50 over the D70s (No matter what), althoughbothare very similar dSLR cameras. (I need to select having C.F. media as "Most Important" only will the Nikon D50 fall back one step behind the Nikon D70s)

Newbie(s) at forums making the decision between the two models (D50 & D70s) willalways (AFAIK)be recommended to get the Nikon D50 over the Nikon D70s.

Comparison between the two models (D50 & D70s) at forums, will always result in favor to wards the NikonD50.

When Nikon released the Nikon D70s, dpreview just passed itoff as being the same model as the D70 model with some subtle tweaks. Yet when Canon released the EOS 30D (A model with some subtle tweaks over the EOS 20D as well) dpreview reviewed it regardless. (Their forums also left out the Nikon D70s listing)

Anewbie seeking out a comparison of the Nikon D80 with the Nikon D70s will be told that the Nikon D80 is a VAST improvement over the Nikon D70s. However, if the comparison were to be with the Nikon D50 instead, they would be told that the Nikon D50 have better high ISO performance, and that they are still very happy with their D50.

Reviews have clearly stated and shown before that the high ISO performance of the Nikon D70s is one of the best around (Among dSLR cameras), but besides that, members at forums will always criticize the Nikon D70s' imagesbystating thatthey're noisy. (Only very fewmembers understood the Nikon D70s concept at high ISO levels - compared to the usual "common" approach taken by other dSLR cameras)

Frequent comparisons between theviewfinders of the Nikon D80 &Nikon D70s will always result in the viewfinder of the Nikon D80 as being VASTLY SUPERIOR. BUT whenever it was the dealings with the Nikon D50 instead, they would say that the viewfinder of the D50 isn't bad, andthat it isfully usable. (Yet the viewfinder of both the Nikon D70s & D50 are completely the SAME! Except that the D70s' V.F. have thegrid lines option)

High ISO comparisons between the Nikon D80 & Nikon D70s isn't asurprising matter either (Coming this far)...Yup, the high ISO performance of the Nikon D80 will always be stated to be "WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT over noisy D70s!!!" BUT but, when itwas "once again" between the D50 & D80; the situation can suddenly change around with the Nikon D50 being VASTLY SUPERIOR! (Yet according to proper reviews andaccuratetest images, the high ISO performance of both the Nikon D50 & NikonD70s are both a close call)

Finally, both the Nikon D200& Nikon D70sare havingthe 1005 segments 3D matrix RGB metering system, and people will always say that the Nikon D200 is having the "More advance" 1005 segments 3D matrix metering than the Nikon D50/D80's 400+ segments version. But when it comes to the Nikon D70s and the Nikon D50/D80, people will alwayssay that the D80 or D50 is having a newer and better metering system. (Funny yeah???)

The Nikon D70s is certainly looking like avery unpopular camera; especiallyin theforums.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any idea?

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:58 AM   #2

Why do you continue to beat this issue to death?? The D70s is a fine camera. No it's not as advanced as the D80, and much of the things you've read comparing the two cameras are true. The D80 is a new camera and should show improvements over a camera that is basically three years old. When comparing the D50, it can do a lot of what the D70s can do at a cheaper and slightly better IQ. If you don't need the extra control, there is no reason to spend the extra money on the D70s. I've said it before.....you're skills are going to be more important and the main limiting factor.....not the body you choose. If you like the D70s, then get it. I also wouldn't spend any more time using your camera advisor. You've already figured out the results can easily be manipulated.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:59 PM   #3

It's simply a case that the D70s has been superceded by a newer and better camera in the D80, and thus if your budget will stretch to the D80 then that's the camera you should buy.
The D50 is a lot cheaper than both the other cameras, and current pricing means the savings are bigger than the difference between it and the D70s.
Therefore it makes no sense for someone to buy a D70s now (unless they will really make use of the features it has over the D50): they can either get a much better camera for more money, or if they can't afford that can get only slightly less camera for a big saving.
The D70s was a good purchase before the D80 came along, and is still just as good a camera as it ever was: there's no need for owners to upgrade, but at the same time if someone is buying now it's not the best choice they can make.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:34 AM   #4

I just purchased a used D70 less than 2 weeks ago and despite a couple of issues (see my post) I'm glad I bought it.

I think that part of the situation you described is an issue of perception: Since the D70 was originally closer in price to Nikon's professional models than it was to their consumer models, it was simply expected to perform well and because it did, there was nothing to get excited about.

On the other hand, when the D50 did such great things at a consumer-friendlier price, and in a class of cameras closer to consumers than professionals, it was seen as a miracle and therefore worthy of praise.

Therefore, let the reviewers say what they want; and those of us who are more open-minded will see the D70 for what it really is. Then, when the talking has stopped, D70 owners will know that their camera is probably Nikon's best-kept secret.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5

I own both a D70s and a D80. When I bought the D70s all the reviews and forums pushed the D50. But having used it for over a year I found no issues with picture quality when compared to any other camera. I also don't see significant improvements with my D80 even with 13x19 prints. Some things work better on the D80 and I like the viewfinder, and all the other bells and whistles, but I like the feel of the D70s better and the bottom line results, the photos, are not vastly improved with the new D80.

You love the draw conclusions based on reviews and other peoples posts. As far as that goes, most of the reviews I have read seem to do the same thing. Any camera driven to an extreme will produce flaws, but proper exposure and composition keeps you away from those extremes and then all of these cameras produce outstanding photographs. Go buy a camera and lets see some pictures so we can talk about techniques and not rehash specifications and minutia based on second hand revalations. I'd rather hear about what your camera does or dosen't do than you keep rehashing the observations of others.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:44 PM   #6

jbigfoot wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a used D70 less than 2 weeks ago and despite a couple of issues (see my post) I'm glad I bought it.

I think that part of the situation you described is an issue of perception: Since the D70 was originally closer in price to Nikon's professional models than it was to their consumer models, it was simply expected to perform well and because it did, there was nothing to get excited about.

On the other hand, when the D50 did such great things at a consumer-friendlier price, and in a class of cameras closer to consumers than professionals, it was seen as a miracle and therefore worthy of praise.

Therefore, let the reviewers say what they want; and those of us who are more open-minded will see the D70 for what it really is. Then, when the talking has stopped, D70 owners will know that their camera is probably Nikon's best-kept secret.
The D70 got plenty of hype and was a very well regarded camera when it was first released. I don't think anyone in the know thinks it is a bad camera or is some hidden gem. There are many, many D70's out there creating great images and even being used by working pros. The only issue is 3 years after release there are more choices, and what is new is what gets talked about.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:20 PM   #7

What is the definition of an "unpopular camera"?

Is it one that nobody likes - kind of like black jelly beans or underwear that fits too tight?

My first digital camera was a Casio QV100, 2nd digicam was a Canon A50. Then I upgraded to a Canon G3 and now I'm using a D50.... Long before I bought my first digital camera I was using a Nikon FG and FG 20 and when I was about 8 I started with an old Kodak Brownie camera... Funny - all of my old Nikon glass fits and works on my D50 - albeit, only in manual mode (which is how my good ols SLR's work)...

Funnier yet - the majority of those unpopular and old cameras I have all have produced some priceless photos (at least in my book and other's)...

That said, their "popularity" didn't mean much.

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote