Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:58 AM   #1

I finally had a chance to take a few pictures with my new used D70. However, they were indoors, near dusk, or in a forest where there wasn't a lot of light...I have yet to shoot in decent sunlight. Most of my pictures were darker than what I anticipated. I used a variety of modes, mostly automatic stuff. Any hints?

Also, the Nikon software hasn't shown me a lot to get excited about. I downloaded Picture Project and Nikon View. It seems to me that it's a long walk for a drink of water to see thumbnails in one program while you have to go to another one to make any adjustments. My old Olympus Camedia program did both, as does XN View (to a lesser degree). I figure that if I'm going to do any heavy-duty work, I may as well go right to PhotoShop and skip a step or two.

I have seen posts where the number of "actuations" a particular camera has experienced is documented. How do I tell how many actuations are on my camera?

jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:44 AM   #2

For most pictures I find the PhotoShop RAW processor a vast improvement overNikon View.

Mind to view thumbnails you use Adobe Bridge and launch PhotoShop for editing.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3

I found my D70s always tended toward the dark side as well. Most of the time that is where I expose my photos anyway.

As for the editor, I use Photoshop Elements 5.0, It is inexpensive ($50 at Best Buy last weekend) and works well for all my needs, and is easy to learn. I have an older copy of Photoshopbut it is expensive and more difficult to learn. Elements does the common tasks well and has provisions for many photo projects. You can't do as much with it, but it does what I need well. You can download a trail version from Adobe and check it out.

Good luck
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:10 PM   #4

This may not be the best place for me to ask this quiestion, but it is somewhat related to this thread.

What are my options for working with NEF files in Elements 3.0?

----------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:54 PM   #5

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:
This may not be the best place for me to ask this quiestion, but it is somewhat related to this thread.

What are my options for working with NEF files in Elements 3.0?

----------------------- Bill
Download the RAW plugin:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 5:43 PM   #6

jbigfoot,

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/opandaexif.html

Get a free download here. It will show shutter actuations as well as many other bits of info...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:24 AM   #7

Thanks, guys. I think I have PhotoShop Elements 3.0, I'd have to check. If it's the one I think it is, that's what I use to make animations -- and from what little I've seen of it, it can do a lot of what PhotoShop can do.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:52 AM   #8

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/opandaexif.html

Get a free download here. It will show shutter actuations as well as many other bits of info...

Robert
I got it...where does it show shutter actuations?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:40 AM   #9

In a related issue, I'm having trouble editing NEF files from my new D80 even though I never had any problems with the raw files from my Canon G3.

I've downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw.8bi file dated 10/23/2006 and placed it into the specified location for Photoshop Elements 3.0.

When I try to open a NEF file (either from Elements directly or from Nikon View (version 6.2.7), the Nikon NEF plug-in (Nikon NEF Plug-in.8bi dated 9/9/2005) brings up the RAW adjustments dialog box, but the image never show up in the "Preview image area". (The dialog box does recognize that the NEF file is from a D80.)

In either case, if I eventually click the OK button, I get a dialog box from Elements telling me "Could not complete your request because of a disk error".

From my experiences developing software, I suspect this is one of those error messages that doesn't mean exactly what it says, but I don't have a clue as to what is happening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

----------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:57 AM   #10

You need to remove the nikon NEF plugin (just drag it to another location, like your desktop) from your photoshop program folder. Photoshop will then use their adobe plug in to open the NEF file.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote