Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:02 AM   #1

So I recently purchased a D50 and have been mostly shooting in automatic and the other programmed modes, and am really enjoying this camera. Being completely new to DSLR I am still learning what this camera can do. Myproblem is that whenever I set the camera to manual mode I set the aperture to 5.6 and no matter what I set the shutter speed at I get nothing on the exposure, un less I snap a shot of a light bulb and even then its barely noticable. That was without the flash by the way with the flash it comes out. The reason i'm doing it without the flash is for two different reasons. First i'm trying to take pictures of my aquarium and would like to use only the lights from it to avoid the flash bouncing off the glass. Second, i'm expecting a baby in a few months and would like to capture the natural skintones and softness in the low lighting of hospital rooms without using a flash. Are there any othersettings that i'm missing? I've also started to read Understanding Exposure and in the beggining the author says to set the aperture to 5.6 and adjust the shutter speed until the view finder indicates a correct exposure. Does this camera do this? Also doe the Magic Lantern line of books explain any more than the manual does to make them worth buying? Sorry for all the newbie questions, i'm just trying to figure all this out before the baby gets here so I dont miss any oppurtunities. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
ahb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

What shutter speeds have you used?? If it is indoors and low light, you may need a shutter speed of 1/8 or even less. I almost never shoot in full manual mode, and don't recommend that you do. I typically shoot in aperature priority (A mode) to have control over DOF (how much is in focus) and let the camera pick the shutter speed. If the camera chooses a speed that is too slow to stop motion or blur, then raise your ISO.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:33 PM   #3

I used all the shutter speed I think. I moved the wheel after each shot and tried the next one. I'll play around with aperture priority mode tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.
ahb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:42 PM   #4
rey

ahb001 wrote:
Quote:
I've also started to read Understanding Exposure and in the beggining the author says to set the aperture to 5.6 and adjust the shutter speed until the view finder indicates a correct exposure. Does this camera do this?
On the viewfinder, at the bottom there is horizontal graph that shows you if the camera *thinks* the exposure is correct/underexposed/overexposed. Checkout the table on page 46 of the D50's manual. This works in general, but as you've read on Understanding Exposure book, there are cases you ignore this and use your own setting by metering at certain points of a scene.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:52 PM   #5

Just my 2 cents worth. If you have the sb-800 or something like that just put that on and that should light up your images. I shoot close distances at f-15 at 350 of a sec on mine with the sb-800 on it and get great sharp images.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote