Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1

Anyone here still use the D100? Any comments on the D100 (pros and Cons)
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:34 PM   #2

I used one until I bought my D200, The D100 is still a very, very good camera and I still use mine. The big difference I like about the D200 over the D100 is the larger buffer on the D200. It is important when doing weddings to not fill up the buffer. I have not really had a big problem with the D100 but I really had to control myself with how many shots I did in a row. The D200 I don't even think of it. Other then that I don't see much difference in the final pictures. Both are great cameras and the D100's are now a genuine bargin.

The D200 can take a jpg and raw photo at the same time which is a very good and usefull feature for Me.The D100 will only do a jpg, raw or tif.On some very important pictures I want to save the raw file and work with the jpg. It's a good feature for Me now that I have it.

Wireless off camera TTL is also nice to have. D100 does not have that feature.

As you can tell, I like them both. I just like My D200 better for Me!!!!!!

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:43 PM   #3

Ronnie thank you for your comment I'm thinking about getting a D100 because I can get one for the price of the D50.I'd bought a D70 (used) but it had a defect and I got a refund. So I want to get another one but how can I be sure that I'm getting one that is not defective.My money is tight and I want the most for my money. I'm new to photography and I want a camera that as my skills grow I don't out grow that camera. I think that if I get into all the wireless stuff I can invest in the SB800 and couple slave flashes but I have a long way to go for that.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:40 AM   #4

Actually, beware. The D100 uses D-TTL, so it will not work with an SB-800 in TTL mode (I believe you can still use it in auto mode).

To step up to the more advanced I-TTL (in the SB-600, SB-800, and just announced SB-400), you need to get a D2H or newer.

The D100 does have a few things over the D70/D50 (better build, mirror lock-up, bigger viewfinder, cable remote), but by now it's rather outdated technology, and trails the D50/D70 (let alone the new D80) in a number of areas (picture quality, slower, flash-sync speed slower, more noise, less advanced metering, and flash system). The big problem with the flash system is that once you buy an external flash for your D100, you cannot use it as you upgrade to another camera--you'll have to buy the flash all over again.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5

Mr. Bounce,

The D-100 does NOT work with the SB-600 or SB-800 flash in TTL. It just does not feature TTL unless the olderSB28DX flash is used.It will not allow wireless function at all. It will function in TTL with an SB-28DXflash. When using a "D" lens the camera will still use the measuring distance feature in TTL. The SB-800 and SB-600 Nikon speedlights workon the D-100 but NO wireless feature or TTLis available at all. It will still work inAUTO modewith a "D" orNon-D lens butno TTL function. Still good but not as good as I-TTL or D-TTL. Any flash used has to be a "DX" flash to be used on the D-100.

The D-100 is still a very good camera but is becoming obsolete.!!!!

Try to find another D-70s and you will then be able to use a 600/800 Nikon flash to its full advantage.

Ronnie

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6

Hi Ronnie,

what do you mean by TTL? My understanding is that the SB-800 cannot be used in TTL mode with the D100 b/c the SB-800 is I-TTL, but the D100 is D-TTL. It can be used in auto mode (where you select ISO and aperture on the flash, and set it manually on the camera).

I'm not trying to badmouth your D100, it's just that buying equipment all over again when you upgrade the body can be a pain.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7

Hi TheBac,

WoW!!! You are correct on that one,

I still use My SB28DX flash with My D-100. I have the SB-600 & an SB-800 but have only used them on My D-200.

See, I learn something new every day on this Forum.

Thanks,

Ronnie
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys. Now I really :?confused on which camera to get...:?... Just kidding.I still think I wanna get the D100,no the D70... See whatyou guys did to me.:?

LOL Guess I'll do a little more research before I order my new/used camera.