Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:33 AM   #1

Default new DSLRs

It's hard to believe that Nikon, Fuji and Sigma haven't updated their digital SLRs in about 1.5 years, while new consumer digicams keep pouring out by the dozens every month. It must mean that either there is very little demand for hi-quality digital cameras or such cameras are very, very difficult to make. The first reason is unlikely since every photographer I know goes to great expense to get the best quality photos, and even own large format cameras. Looks like the evolution rate for digital cameras is nowhere near the evolution rate of computers. It should be interesting to see what the next 10 years bring.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:46 PM   #2

The consumer market DWARFS the pro market (We'll ignore the accessory market.) It makes some sense to concentrate on them. Now, I think that the rate that consumer camera are being introduced is way to often... but once demand slows (Economy?) the weaker offerings will go away.

Someone over on dpreview.com found that Nikon has registered the trademarks for D2 and D2H (I believe, or D2X?) They are in the works, it's only a matter of time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:49 PM   #3

but it doesn't look to be a full frame future for them yet
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:35 PM   #4

I would agree. I think that Nikon is more price conscious and is saying away from full frame. I don't mind, but that is because I like the extra reach the 1.6x of the 10D gives me.

I can't wait for the day that sensor resolution is so good that I can zoom in on my computer in the same way that the smaller sensor magnifies the image. Of course, the image will be huge... but by then computers will be much faster and the transfer method will be too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:36 PM   #5
NHL

The Oly 4/3 is due to be out next month as well... in case anyone look for a lighter/smaller dSLR! :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:52 PM   #6

Hi NHL,

Do you have any URL you can cite for the Olympus 4/3 cameras coming out?

Thanks (in advance!)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 4:12 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
My subscription to American Photo magazine July 2003 (ie current issue @ the newstands) has an Editor Choice special feature on digicams: there's a reference on page S5 to the Oly 4/3, along with 4 new open digital standard lenses (28-108mm, 100-400mm, 600mm, and a 50mm f2.0 macro), and this last sentence... "We'll know more of the new model by next issue." Either they have it in their hands or they could be using old materials for all I know: :lol:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Digi...r030303aJ.html

BTW there's a good article here:
http://digigraphica.com/oped/03/0507.shtml
... How about that DOF?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:51 PM   #8

I think the main reason is that in the "consumer" market a large number of sales are made simply by the camera being the newest on the market, thus a lot of the cameras being released are very little different from the models they're replacing, whereas with the "professional" cameras it's pretty much solely the quality of the camera that people base their purchases on, hence people will happily buy models two or three years old, and as such the companies work on making major advances between models.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 1:30 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan
Hi NHL,

Thanks (in advance!)

Wait until Tuesday (6/24/03) morning at 9:30am - we will tell and show all about the new 4/3 SLR. Check the News page for the links.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:54 AM   #10

I believe the pro market doesn't move as fast as the consumer market because pros don't buy new bodies every year, or whenever a new model comes out with only minor improvements carried out from the previous model. Pros make money with their equipment, and if a 2 year old camera can still bring home the day's pay, then there's no need to upgrade. The desire to upgrade is there, but bottom line is if it ain't broke, save money However pros may tend to carry around two or more camera bodies for a job, you don't see a tourist with more than one camera dangling from his/her neck.. :roll:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote