Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have a Nikkor 55-200 lens and a Nikkor 28-80 lens. I have seen the Nikkor 18-200 lens for about $800. (Sorry, I typed the wrong price on the last post.)I'm thinking about selling my other two lenses and buying this one so I don't have to switch lenses. This will keep dust from getting in the filter. Is this a smart move?

-The Cartoonist
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:40 AM   #2

Where have you seen the 18-200 vr for $200?? This lens has a list price of $799 but has been very hard to find due to lack of supply, and often sells for over $1000. This sounds like one of those "if it sounds to good to be true" scenerios. Or pehaps you have your lens terminology a bit confused.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

Better be sure you have the 18/200"VR" in your hands before selling your other lens's. The 18/200 "VR" is very hard to get. I know at Best Buy they are $899.99 + tax and you really have to go every day to see if any arrived, Same at Circuit City. I have one and it is a truly great all around lens that will do just about everything you would want it to. Portraits to school sports. Mine stays on My D200 all of the time.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:52 PM   #4

I was thinking about selling my Nikkor 28-80 and Nikkor 55-200 lenses on eBay to get money for the 18-200. Do you think I would get moremoney for selling them together or selling them separately? Is this a smart move in me spending this much money to get one lens so I don't have to switch all the time?

- TheCartoonist
TheCartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:49 PM   #5

You'll get about $200 for your current lenses ($45-60 for the 28-80, and around $150 for the 55-200). Make sure you're definitely able to get the 18-200, as it is not often readily available.

If you can live with some of the optical issues (and this lens is much better than most superzooms) then it's a good option.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote