Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1

When I am taking pictures with my camera it often "lags" about 10 shots into it. What I mean is when I get the camera focused, I press the shutter all the way down and nothing. All I can think of is I need to clear out my buffer memory. Even if I wait 20 seconds or so, I still get intermittent performance. I am using the 18-135 kit lens it came with. For the better part of the time I shoot in auto mode, however it doesnt seem to matter what mode I am in, I get the same performance. My SD card is a SanDisk Ultra 2. Please help. THanks.
HeHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2

Can you give us any other information?

Is the camera's built in flash being used for these pictures?

Is the camera's battery fully charged?

What is the interval between the first 10 pictures?

---------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks for your help. I am using the built in flash. The battery is anywhere from 80 to 100% charged. The interval between shots is probably 2 - 5 seconds, then when I experience the adverse performance, the interval is 6 - 15 seconds before it fires.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:59 AM   #4

Try turning your flash off. If your using flash, the flash must recharge which could slow shot time. Also, make sure your camera is set to continious shooting mode. This will allow you to shoot up to 3 FPS. Flash should be turned off in this mode also.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:08 AM   #5

On page 42 of the D80 manual, it says "The shutter release may be briefly disabled to protect the flash after it has been used for several consecutive shots. The flash can be used again after a short pause."

I understand this is to prevent overheating the flash tube.

----------------- Bill
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:56 PM   #6

If I bought a SB800 would I still have this issue?

THANKS for your help.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:01 AM   #7

Page 51 of the SB800 instruction manual states that at full power, you should not exceed 15 continuous firings at 6 frames per second or at 1/4 power you should not exceed 40 continuous firings at 6 frames per second. It says that after reaching these limits, you should wait 10 minutes before starting over.

There is a table on the same page which seems to indicate that, under some conditions, the limits might be lower.

These types of restrictions will apply to any electronic flash unit.

---------------------- Bill
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:53 AM   #8

The danger is in the flash unit overheating and burning itself up. Alot of power runs through these units, and continous firing will generate tons of heat. The more powerful the flash, the greater the risk. The SB800 will not be much better, except shot to shot times may be a bit quicker, especially when using the 5th battery because it will recycle quicker. For continous shooting, fast lenses and higher iso's are the safest and most controllable bet.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote