Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:06 PM   #1

I own both the Nikon D50 & D80 and am presently using the Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm lens as a walk-around lens (D80) and the Nikon AF-S DX VR 105mm lens for macro work and portraits (D50).

I'm now looking for a bright / fast wide-angle zoom lens to use indoors and photograph people in available indoor light (sometimes available indoor low-light). The Nikon AF-S DX 17-55mm F2.8 is not within my budget (unfortunately). Doing some research on the Net, I've come across three possibilities:

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5

Which would you recommend? Why? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:50 AM   #2

Well unless you specifically need the wide angle, Theres lots of decently priced options for you.

Bad news:
Nikon 28-70 f2.8 (while quite expensive at 1500$) is good

But the good news, is theres a cheaper and possibly Better lens out there, The Tokina 28-70mm f2.8, There is a crapload of versions of this lens, the newest being probably the most inferior (the Pro SV) but the older versions (theres like 6) Are apparently better

I bought the second oldest version, the AF 28-70mm f2.8 ATX, but theres an ATX Pro, ATX Pro II, and even one that's apperature varies from 2.6-2.8.

I paid 185$ CAD for my copy used, and it meters fine on my D50 (Though if you read my other post you will find that I have and still am having intermittant Errors with my D50 connecting to the lens on start up... no idea why, i think it is the microchip though), AF is actually very fast (and loud, especially when it starts hunting). Only thing it lacks is the "D" declaration that sends the focus distance info to the flash.

theres also a Sigma 24-75, and a Tamron 28-75 (I believe those are the ranges) The Tamron can be used on a film camera (while the sigma cannot) So for flexibility I would say the Tamron is a good choice, I've found it online for 529$ CAD (new) And its about 4 years old now.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:23 PM   #3

I do need the wide angle end (e.g. small restaurant).
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:24 PM   #4

I haven't used any of those lenses myself, but going by review the Tamron
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is an excellent lens, and likely the best option out of those three.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:44 PM   #5

Since you already have the 18-200, (And at 18mm it is f3.5) I would still suggest skipping the 18-55's And go for the 28-70's

They are better suited for single shot portraits and you still have the option of using your 18-200, for the 18-28ish range (from about 3.5-4 maybe) which is roughly 1 stop or less, less light.

Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote