Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:41 PM   #1

Check out the review at www.KenRockwell.com This camera can't be touched for under a grand.....FORGET THE K100D...For the Pecid Xti........This camera is a blast to use.......
themayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:02 PM   #2

Sure if you compare photo X and photo Y done by camera A and camera B at the same settings in identical situations you will get an idea of what the camera *can* possibly do, but for me there is so much more to taking pictures then that. Being able to get to the white balance, ISO, metering, etc quickly is a HUGE deal for me and the lack of hard buttons immiditaly kills the D40 for my personal use. The setting I have to dig into a menu for is the one I'm most likely not to change and have to work around. Now if they made the D40 with hard button/dial adjustmentfor ISO, Image quality, White Balance, and Metering, kept the 2.5" screen and added an information LCD with backlight I think that would be the perfect DSLR for me. Other then that it's a great performer and I think it's going to be a big hit for Nikon, it's more of a Point and Shoot in dSLR clothing which is really that most photography buffs are looking for.

Now if they made the D40 with hard button/dial adjustmentfor ISO, Image quality, White Balance, and Metering, kept the 2.5" screen and added an information LCD with backlight I think that would be the perfect DSLR for me.
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:57 PM   #3

JinE wrote:
Quote:
Sure if you compare photo X and photo Y done by camera A and camera B at the same settings in identical situations you will get an idea of what the camera *can* possibly do, but for me there is so much more to taking pictures then that. Being able to get to the white balance, ISO, metering, etc quickly is a HUGE deal for me and the lack of hard buttons immiditaly kills the D40 for my personal use. The setting I have to dig into a menu for is the one I'm most likely not to change and have to work around. Now if they made the D40 with hard button/dial adjustmentfor ISO, Image quality, White Balance, and Metering, kept the 2.5" screen and added an information LCD with backlight I think that would be the perfect DSLR for me. Other then that it's a great performer and I think it's going to be a big hit for Nikon, it's more of a Point and Shoot in dSLR clothing which is really that most photography buffs are looking for.

Now if they made the D40 with hard button/dial adjustmentfor ISO, Image quality, White Balance, and Metering, kept the 2.5" screen and added an information LCD with backlight I think that would be the perfect DSLR for me.
with the features you describe that would be a d80
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:06 PM   #4

I have handled the D-40 was very impressed how it felt, shutter action, focusing speed.
Yes I will go out on limb say that Nikon has taken some bold moves with the D40. I know some people are disregarding this camera soley on the focus motor being in the lens. I understand that for people that have older lens that won't be able to used with this camera. I do not think that was Nikon's intend, but rather to bulid a new camera system around the D-40. Also Nikon decision to keep at 6 mp is to be applauded. I know there are those that want more mp, I personally feel 6mp is just enough. For me this camera is what I want. I was very close to getting a superzoom, the introduction of the D40 changed that. I love photography and love taking pictures, the D40 will be that camera. My first DSLR will be the D40.

Happy Holidays

Greatgreyowl/Brad
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote