Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:22 AM   #11

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! Could you try posting a photo?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:59 AM   #12

Here goes: I'll try again. I actually never found out if my first attempt posted or not. PLease let me know.:|
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:23 AM   #13

jbigfoot wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Most Nikon's tend to slightly underexpose in Matrix mode mainly to preserve highlights. It's always easier to pull detail out of shadows than to recover highlights that are blown. This trend seems to have shifted a bit with the D80, as many are now complaining about the opposite. As was mentioned, using fill flash is a good solution to balancing the exposure. Any DSLR is going to have some issues with exposure in scenes with alot of dynamic range. Exposure latitude is a bit less digitally than with film.
I wonder if it would be possible to convince Nikon to come up with some firmware fix for this so we wouldn't have to compensate for it? There are guitar amps called "modeling amps" that use software programs to emulate other, classic amps and I wonder if this principle can't be applied to cameras? I don't think we should have to continually fiddle the exposure or come up with work-arounds to get the results we're after.
I don't think this will ever be addressed via a firmware fix. If it were, then an equal amount of people would be upset about the change. No two photographers are alike, and through the settings the camera allows you to customize the image to get it how you want it. This was true with film as well, as you could adjust exposure or shoot different films to get the results you wanted. Personally, I rarely shoot matrix, usually using centerweighted or spot, which for what I shoot yields pretty consistent results, although I usually underexpose about a 3rd of a stop. to preserve the most shadow detail, and bring it up in post.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:25 PM   #14

Did my picture ever post? I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure if and where the pic will appear once posted. :homey:

Thanks,

Johnny Rotten
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:58 PM   #15

I was quite interested in this thread as I have a new D80 and found my first attempts have been darker than either my Coolpix 8800 or P4 produce in the same situation. I also find the odd shot far more saturated than others taken at the same time, but in a different relationship to the sun. I know that dratted manual needs another read.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:26 PM   #16

I'll tell you something: There is a definite learning curve. I don't know of anyone who could read that whole manual and digest it and REMEMBER EVERYTHING with just one read. If I could make a suggestion, download the manual from the Nikon website, and then print it enlarged page for page. I went out and bought a 3 Ring binder, and it actually made it enjoyable to hack through. :idea:
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:43 PM   #17

That's a good suggestion, Johnny. I read the manual again last night and have forgotten most of it already ! Thanks goodness the camera has that magic "auto" button for those times I get brain freeze !

Thanks, Steve

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:54 AM   #18

JohnnyRotten wrote:
Quote:
I'll tell you something: There is a definite learning curve. I don't know of anyone who could read that whole manual and digest it and REMEMBER EVERYTHING with just one read. If I could make a suggestion, download the manual from the Nikon website, and then print it enlarged page for page. I went out and bought a 3 Ring binder, and it actually made it enjoyable to hack through. :idea:
This is EXACTLY what I did and it works! It's easier than thumbing through that little booklet! (But I would be hard-pressed to drag this binder along with me to where I need to present the appearance that I know what I'm doing!

And I'm finally mastering that learning curve on my D70. I took some pictures last night that looked pretty good (and required little correction) plus a portrait test tonight in pure manual w/strobes that look real good.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote