Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

So, this weekend, my good friend Royce10 invited me to go out "birding" with him. I always wanted to, but the 18-135 kit lens really isn't enough for wildlife/birding. Luckily, I had my yet to be wrapped for myself 70-300 VR sitting in my room :lol:

Here are a few of the pictures. Unfortunately, because I only have a 2gig card, I decided I needed to switch from RAW+JPG to JPG only. I honestly can't imagine some of these shots coming out any better than they did...but, I know what RAW can do compared to JPG. See for yourself...

Needless to say, i was very impressed with the performance of this lens as I did not need to correct for CA or vingetting.And though this was a "birding" event, the couple shots I had that could have shown distortion, didn't (or showed very little).

Higher res and Exif data can be found on the flickr sitehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/swgod98...7594435360598/

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
rey

nice shots! so far i've been impressed with pics i've seen taken with this lens.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:02 PM   #3

Real nice shots man! Ill be looking to that lens.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:26 PM   #4

Very nice shots, the lens and you did well. I have been considering this lens also but am not sure if it has enough reach. I have the sigma 70-300mmD APO DG macro and I like the lens but I feel it could be a bit sharper. If it were a little sharper I might not feel the need for the extra reach. Would you mind sending me a couple of your unprocessed files of the smaller birds and note the approximate distance you were shooting so I could play around with them. My Email is tlc9@cox.net. If you are unable to do so that's OK I understand.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:52 PM   #5

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Would you mind sending me a couple of your unprocessed files of the smaller birds and note the approximate distance you were shooting so I could play around with them.
I put a few up on my site. If you want to download them and play with them...have at it...

http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/d80/birds/DSC_0947.JPG
http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/d80/birds/DSC_0973.JPG
http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/d80/birds/DSC_1032.JPG
http://www.danshobbyshack.com/temp/d80/birds/DSC_1145.JPG

Unfortunately, I do not remember how close I was on these...Your guess is as good as mine: (in order)close (say...30 ft?), far (~100), far (100+), close (~20)
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:56 AM   #6

Thanks a lot, I appreciate you posting those for me.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:30 PM   #7

A picture IS worth a thousand words ! I've been lusting after this lens for a few days now and they arrive locally by the weekend. I'm really impressed by your shots. They look so sharp and vibrant ! Did you hand hold any of them ? The first one has really impressive detail and is exactly what I'd like to produce. I've been shooting some bald eagles nearby for 2 years with my Coolpix 8800 and never had one as sharp as your photo. I did get some decent shots with the 18-135 lens, but more seems better !Thanks for sharing !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:33 AM   #8

All of these were handheld. Many of them were cropped (because 300mm isn't enough to get "good" closeups).

I must admit, the "vibrancy" you speak of is partially due to the in camera settings I used. I had copied some guys settingsI saw a while back and they REALLY make the colors jump out. So much so, that I found the same settings to be terrible for indoor shots (of people in particular), especially when the white balance isn't set correctly.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:00 PM   #9

Mighty fine shots for hand held ! You're making me want that lens ! My wife told me to save the gull head as our desktop....it even looks good from the low res posting.
What camera settings do you mean ? I just got my D80 and was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a separate contrast and colour setting. I found a vibrancy (?) setting and bumped that up a notch as my first attempts seemed a bit flat.

Anyway...nice shots and I hope you post more !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:01 AM   #10

I think the setting that made the biggest difference was the "color space". I believe I was using sRGB color space. I also had tone at +1, contrast -1, and sharpening +1. I think those were the settings I used.

The Exif data for one of the pictures is showing:

Color Space: sRGB
Contrast: Soft
Saturation: High saturation
Sharpness: Hard