Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:02 PM   #1

Last night was the first chance I've had to get a shot of the moon with my new 70-300 VR, the first clear night and one of the first lately with the power on (the PNW has been in the dark a lot lately).

This was taken hand held with VR on, no PP other than cropping to 100%. It was snowing most of the day, just above freezing so probably not the ideal weather conditions, about 95% humidity but this is still about the sharpest moon shot I've taken, definitely a step up from my Tamron 70-300. I can hardly wait for some near full moon opportunities...which may not happen until June out here.

I tried several shots between F5.6 and F11, to me this looked like the sharpest image, maybe going higher would have sharpened it up some more, I'll have to try again another night for that. Shooting RAW rather than jpg/fine would likely improve things a bit as well but so far with the limited shooting I've been able to do with the new lens I'm very happy with the 70-300 VR.

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D80
Image Date: 2006:12:27 19:59:01
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2

My 1st try 12/27/06 1/2-moon D70s, Tokina 80-400, tripod. Forgot to turn off the auto ISO so appologies for the Noise. Will also use spot metering next time.

Bob F.

Attached Images

brinnonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

Thanks for posting your moon shot, John. Have you had much opportunity to try the lens on landscape, bird, aircraft etc shots ? I now have D80 and asked about the lens today and it should be in stock in 4 days. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts before I spend what seems a lot for a lens. I hate carrying a tripod and obviously value anything that helps a hand held zoom. The weather here has been as gloomy as yours and I'm frustrated with a new camera and nothing but cloud and rain !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:31 PM   #4

Hi Steve,
No bird shots yet. As you know winter in this part of the world is far from ideal for photography. I did take a shot of my Kubota a few days after getting the lens, again not great weather but it seems like a pretty sharp photo for 300mm @ 1/50th of a second.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...bota_300VR.jpg

Here's one landscape type shot I tried a few days ago around sunrise. 70mm @ 1/6th of a second:

I need to get out and restock the bird feeder, that should get the Stellar Jays back, maybe we'll get some sun before they empty the feeder. :-)

So far in the limited time I've used it I think it's a great lens, sharp and the VR is a big help for me.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:24 PM   #5

That's a beautiful sunrise shot, John ! I don't see snow often around here and that shot makes me miss it. I also checked out your Kubota and am very jealous ! We're planning on moving back to Ontario this Spring and on to about 50 acres. The deal is my wife gets to be back near her family and I get a tractor and snowmobile ! But we couldn't afford THAT monster. It looks new. Was Santa good to you ?

Thanks for the pics.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:40 PM   #6

Thanks Steve, I took a similar shot at 1/60th and the tracks in the snow are sharper, but I thought the colors were better in this one. Also it seemed like the lens did a fine job for less than rock steady hands and 1/6th of a second. I grew up in MN and miss the snow too, we're high enough that we get it 2 or 3 times a year now, but it doesn't stick around long.

For as long as some tractors last I suppose that one is practically new, I've had it for around 1.5 years now. It's not as much of a monster as you might think, its the B7510, not the smallest Kubota makes but not much bigger than the smallest line. It works great for getting back in among the trees to make paths and clear out underbrush without taking out the trees. For taking care of 50 acres you'd probably want something bigger than mine, I'd guess something in the "L" series, unless you have a lot of time to spend on the seat. :-)

John