Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1

Need xtra batts for D200's & D2x. Since these are specific to Nikon thought this a better place to post than the batts forum.

First, am I correct that the final letter is just a revision indicator? EG, a EN-EL3e is the same as an EN-EL3a, just a newer revision of that specific mfr's battery? Same with EN-EL4e?

What's the scoop on 3rd party versions of these? MAHA just intro'd their versions (though they're rated slightly lower mAh than Nikon's and many other mfr's). I've had great luck with MAHA AA batts & 401FS chargers over the years. What about CTA, Lenmar, Impact (B&H), etc?

Thanks,

jsfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:49 PM   #2

The letters do indicate newer versions of the batteries, but you have to be careful--the D200 will only take the EN-EL3e, the other EN-EL3's will not work in it (however, the D50/70(s) will take any EN-EL3).

I believe that the D2x will take any EN-EL4 battery.

I've generally had good luck with third-party batteries, but I can't vouch personally for third-party batteries for the D200 or D2x.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up on the D200 needing a specific revision. Any idea why? Is that just the Nikon batts that need to be 'e', but other 3rd party non e's OK?

Thanks,

Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:33 AM   #4

The D200's and D80's battery (the en-el3e) provides more detailed information. The life meter goes down in 8 steps (i think) whereas the en-el3 only shows 4. Also, there is a section in the menu that show a graph which details roughly how much is left in the batteries total life. The other Nikon batteries do not provide this info and are thus not compatible with the D200 or D80, although the EN-E3e is compatible with the older cameras. I'm not sure if 3rd party batteries are able to provide this info to the D80/D200. Besides the more detailed info, the EN-EL3e is a more powerful batttery to meet the higher power demands of the D200/D80.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with the Nikons for now.