Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #1

My wife really surprised me by giving me a D80 for my birthday ! And this after buying me a P4 Coolpix in the summer so I'd always have a camera in my pocket ! Needless to say, I'm thrilled. I have a 2 year old Coolpix 8800 and have been very happy with it, while still acknowledging it's weak points. After a couple of days with the D80, I won't be looking back. I'm really impressed with the speed it writes to the card as the 8800 seems to take forever. The D80 feels just right and is less bulky and lighter than expected. I can already see a big improvement in detail in my shots and think this is a fine all round camera. I will miss the flip out LCD on the 8800, which has allowed me to get some pretty interesting low angle flower shots. I have the 18-135mm lens and feel a wee bit disappointed at it's close focusing ability, so may just use the 8800 for that function.

I'm way out of date with Nikon lenses. I still have a suitcase full of 1970's vintage 35mm Nikkors, but don't believe they are compatible ? I did see an adapter ring on E Bay that I assume is to mount older lenses. Any thoughts about this ?

I'd also appreciate any thoughts about other lenses. I like to take bird shots and would like something bigger than the 18-135mm. And what would I use to take sharp close ups ?

An interesting thing happened when I read the Quick Set Up notes for the camera about formatting the memory card. It seemed to conflict with the manual and when I inserted the new card, nothing happened ! No screen warning etc. But the camera works, soI guess it did it all by itself. I'm infamous for NOT reading instructions and this indicates why !

Glad to be in the DSLR club...finally. And lucky to have a thoughtful wife !!!

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Steve,

Yes you have a great wife- now you have a great camera, and I know you'll have a great time learning what the camera is capable of. As to your old nikkors, I found a link that might be useful...

Congrats

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

Hi Robert ! Thanks for the link. It appears my fleet of oldies must remain sleeping in their suitcase as they are not compatible. I was hoping there might be some sort of adapter ring available. I'm lusting after the 70-300mm VR lens, as I have a group of Bald Eagles nearby that are just a tad too far away for the 18-135mm. But then my wife showed me some posts from several people who have had defective lenses. It's a lot of money for something that may not be perfected. But the camera is awesome !

Thanks again, Steve
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:19 AM   #4

The older lens will not fit the camera? My old ones from the same era fit, just don't meter. I use a handheld meter or meter with one that will and use that setting as a starting point. And I have to focus of course but they work fine.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:07 PM   #5

Happy birthday to you !:-)

Happy birthday to you ! :-)

Happy Birthday to STEVE,

Happy birthday to you ! :-)

Ronnie,

I didn't buy you a camera but I sang Happy Birthday to you.

Hope you have many more.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the wishes, Ronnie ! As you already know, it was a VERY Nikony happy birthday ! Next year I'm dropping hints for a Honda Gold Wing and see if it works the same as my D80 campaign !

Regards, Steve (also a "dog" guy)

PS I'm still not sure about the old lenses, but think they fall just behind the limit as they are circa 1972 and full manual.