Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:26 PM   #1

What are the pro's and con's of these two cameras?

I have heard something negative about the D40's autofocus motor, what's wrong with it?

How does the low light performance compare?

What else is different?

Thanks all.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:22 PM   #2

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
I have heard something negative about the D40's autofocus motor, what's wrong with it?

Thanks all.
The problem with the D40 autofocus motor is that it doesn't exist! The D40 uses AF-s lenses that have the motor built in.
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3

So does that mean only lenses that specifically say AF would work on the Nikon D40? Or would even some of those not work? (when it says a lens is AF, does that mean it has an Autofocus motor or that it's compatible with an Autofocus motor?)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:40 AM   #4

Only AF-S lenses will autofocus with the D40. THose lenses are the 18-70, 18-55, 55-200, 18-135, 18-200, 105VR, and the 70-300VR. No third party lens will AF either, except the the few sigma HSM lenses. The good news is the available lenses cover most shooting situations. The bad news is aside from the first three listed, they are all over $300. Also none of the excellent bright prime lenses are on the list. Hopefully that will change in the future as Nikon adds more lenses to the AF-S line. Other lenses will work, just with no auto focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:06 PM   #5

I suppose all the Af-s lenses are top quality though compared to Af, Surely buying and af-s means you are buying a better lens? I have the 55-200 and it handles most situations very well. it can take a while to focus when at 200mm but the finish pays off as the pics are as sharp as hell
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:04 PM   #6

They are all decent quality. The superzooms suffer from the typical issues (distortion), and none are exceptionally fast (f3.5 at max). The only one that can be considered pro level is the 105 vr, and it has a price tag to match. They will however suit most shooters in most situations.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:18 PM   #7

This brings up a question for me. I saw somewhere that someNikkor lenses are made of plastic, not glass. Is that true? If so, is that for cost reduction, weight reduction or a bit of both?

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:18 PM   #8

Sorry, double post

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:57 PM   #9

For me the lack of a focusing motor in the body makes the D40 a non-starter. I've got four Nikkor AF lenses - two are AF-S and two aren't. The two that aren't AF-s are mounted on my D50 WAY more often than the AF-S lenses.

I think the D40 is a pretty sweet little camera, but it's not a suitable replacement for my D50. I'm sure Nikon left the focus motor out to save money and I know they'll sell a ton of these to people moving up from point and shoot cameras but as these people start to work on a lens collection the "AF-S or nothing" choice Nikon made places them in a bit of a bind. For example, the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 that I LOVE is not an AF-S lens. Slip that little (cheap) jewel on your D40 and guess what? No autofocusing! The next lens I want to buy is the 85mm 1.8 for portraits; I'm not sure but I don't think it's AF-S either. But I don't HAVE to know, if it's not it is still going to autofocus on my camera.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:42 PM   #10

What lens (lenses) are you interested in? If other than the few that will AF with the D40 (rjseeney's post) - the answer is D50.

If you are looking for a point & shoot approach SLR with a nice 2.5 lcd, & don't need Nikons fast lenses or prime lenses - then D40.

Best.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote