Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:04 PM   #1

My daughter will be born in a month. Now I'm considering to buy a refurblished D50 bodyfrom buydig.com at $379. Is refurblished D50 body OK to buy from them? I have 35-80mm 4 - 5.6 D zoom and a 50mm 1.8 D. I think I can get started with 2 lens.

Thanks for any comments or suggestion.
submarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:06 PM   #2
rey

buydig is a legit store, so it's okay to purchase from them. however, with new D50 being just $70 more, I don't know if it's worth getting a refurb one. If you do buy the refurb (or even the new one), consider getting the 5-yr MACK warranty for it.

In general, the weakest link of DSLRs is the shutter curtain. For the D50 it's rated around 25K actuations. I don't know how many actuations that refurb has had. I read that it cost about $150 for Nikon to replace the shutter.

Good Luck.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:39 PM   #3

I bought a refurb D-50 from Beach Camera, who also owns buydig and just as Rey indicates, the shutter curtain failed after just 6 1/2 months. So it really was not a good buy at all! Beach Camera has a brand new D-50 boy on sale at $439 with a full year's guarantee. That guarantee would have saved me because refurb's only have a 90 day guarantee.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:48 PM   #4
rey

Sarah, what was the actuation count when yours failed? Also did you have it fixed? If so how much did it cost you? Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:36 PM   #5

How does one determine the actuation count on a refurbed unit. Thanks!
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:17 PM   #6

mtclimber,

Sorry about the failure of your D50. Sure wish you had bought the 5 yr Mack warranty for $39.95.

I bought a D50 Refurbfrom Beach Camera 6 months back and the warranty was $79.95.

I hope you can get your camera repaired real cheap.

divertwo

divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:13 PM   #7

Rey-

The D-50 failed after 2749 actuations. Yes, I got it fixed, and by allowing the repairman all the time he wanted to do the job, hence something he could fix when times were slow, it cost $250 to fix.

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:55 PM   #8
rey

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Rey-

The D-50 failed after 2749 actuations. Yes, I got it fixed, and by allowing the repairman all the time he wanted to do the job, hence something he could fix when times were slow, it cost $250 to fix.

MT/Sarah

That's a really low shutter count! Did you try contacting Nikon to get it fixed, before going elsewhere? I read on several sites that they charge $150 for it if it's out of warranty.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:08 AM   #9

Can someone please advise how to measure actuations on these? I assume it's easy as I see many people measuring their refurbed units. Thanks much.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:48 AM   #10

Rey-

Perhaps I just got the wrong person on the phone. However, I was told by the Customer Service agent, that because the camera was a refurb, they (Nikon) could do nothing for me at all.

Believe me,the experiencehas made me look at refurbs in a whole new light.

MT/Sarah