Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:41 AM   #1

hey there folks.

just wanted to check if the SB400 woluld fit and work well on the D80 as it looks like a nice compact flash to keep on trips...

any views??
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:37 PM   #2

I haven't actually used the SB400, but I'm sure it will function well. If your looking for a small, carry everywhere flash, then go for it. I think the SB600 is the better option..it has more power, and features, for only about $50 more.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:56 AM   #3

Hi

The sb-400 works superbly with the D80. I bought mine last week and have shot about 500 framesusing the 400. The range is comfortably 3x that of the built in flash, and the bounce afforded by the tilting head really works well. Recharge times between shots are phenomenally fast - you can get between 3 and 5 continuous shots with flash before a recharge time of approx 3 seconds.

It's light but very well made, and balances well with the body and lens (I use the VR 18-200).

I'm sure the sb 600 and 800 units are superb as well, but they are vastly bigger, heavier and more expensive (Ipaid £95 for the 400, compared to a cheapest price in UK of £160 for the 600). The sb-400 is also much easier to carry around - neither the 600 or 800 will be of much use if left at home!

Ask yourself to what use you are genuinely going to put the unit, and make your choice on that basis. I am an enthusiastic amateur, and the 400 certainly gives me what I require.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tim
Tim1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:49 AM   #4

Tim1341 wrote:
Quote:
Hi

The sb-400 works superbly with the D80. I bought mine last week and have shot about 500 framesusing the 400. The range is comfortably 3x that of the built in flash, and the bounce afforded by the tilting head really works well. Recharge times between shots are phenomenally fast - you can get between 3 and 5 continuous shots with flash before a recharge time of approx 3 seconds.

It's light but very well made, and balances well with the body and lens (I use the VR 18-200).

I'm sure the sb 600 and 800 units are superb as well, but they are vastly bigger, heavier and more expensive (Ipaid £95 for the 400, compared to a cheapest price in UK of £160 for the 600). The sb-400 is also much easier to carry around - neither the 600 or 800 will be of much use if left at home!

Ask yourself to what use you are genuinely going to put the unit, and make your choice on that basis. I am an enthusiastic amateur, and the 400 certainly gives me what I require.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tim
Thanks Tim....

I think the 400 will def suite my amateur needs....

thanks a mill for that reply....

got any pics to post that you have taken using the sb400??

cheers for now.

Bryce

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote