Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:57 AM   #1

D50 Shutter Rating

Ray wrote Quote "In general, the weakest link of DSLRs is the shutter curtain. For the D50 it's rated around 25K actuations"

Is this accurate??

It would not take very long to exceed 25K actuations.

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:20 PM   #2
rey

This number is anecdotal. Meaning, people's experiences tend to vary. From what I understand Nikon will fix shutters for $150. I'm not sure what the exact Nikon rating is, but I've read as low as 25K. This number is usually found on the fine print of the warranty, which I don't have with me at the moment. Also, Nikon reps has said that continuous shooting will wear out the shutter curtain faster.

I've had my D50 for 9 months and I'm up to 6500 clicks. So I'm not too worry about this.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're a casual shooter (i.e., not a wedding photographer putting 1,500 actuations on the camera every weekend).

I don't think the D50 is actually rated (they usually only rate semi-pro and pro cameras, and that's assuming pro usage)--it's very hard to rate them, because, as rey pointed out, it depends heavily on the way it's used. If it's used to take a couple dozen shots a week here and there, you're not wearing it out too much.

It's a lot like an odometer on a car--it's not just the miles you put on it, but also the type of miles/driving.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4
rey

Okay, I can't seem to find the official rating for the D50. Sorry if I worried you. From what I gathered from here and other sites, people have claimed theirs broke at around 45K, and it cost them $150 to have Nikon replace it.

I also read that Nikon "tests" products at 50k, 100k, and 150k without making any form of warranty regarding shutter count. Their warranty is purely base on time period. Since the D50 is at the low end, then it should be at the 50k level.

Again, this is purely anecdotal. I've read post where people's shutters had to be replaced at ~25k. And if I did my math right, a 25K lifetime equates to $.02 per clicks... so I'll keep firing away!

(honestly, i'm more worried about dropping my 18-200VR)

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight.:idea:

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote