Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1

What is the coldest temperature that people have used their DSLR? I will be tent camping in Yellowstone this February for one week. Temperature usually or not too bad but will a DSLR work at -40 degrees? At what temerature can damage be done? My thought is the LCD is the biggest concern at when it is cold I just turn it off. What other concerns should I have to protect my camera? Also if it gets too cold would the camera get damage if I do not use it. I also plan to put the camera in an air tight bag with some silca packets untill it warms back to rooom temperature.
Chris

bwca64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:11 AM   #2

Mechanically, you should be fine. The airtight bag is a good idea, and will prevent condensation problems when coming back in. Your biggest problem will be battery life. It is significantly shortened by extreme cold. You will need several batteries, and they are best kept in a pocket near your body to keep them warm and ready to use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:01 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Mechanically, you should be fine. The airtight bag is a good idea, and will prevent condensation problems when coming back in. Your biggest problem will be battery life. It is significantly shortened by extreme cold. You will need several batteries, and they are best kept in a pocket near your body to keep them warm and ready to use.
Lithium batteries actually work fine in the cold, but the voltage drops and most electronic equipment doesn't realise that this is due to temperature so will decide it is getting flat and could refuse to work.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:19 PM   #4

Had my D80 out in -8C ( about 16F ) yesterday and the full battery showed about 2/3 as soon asthe screenturned on. After walking for a half hour, I thought it may be better to keep the battery in a warm pocket until just before use. It isn't easy holding the camera and working the controls with gloves on, either. I used to wear a parka that was too big in the gut and had the camera inside the coat until needed.

Steve

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote