Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1

Just took my D50 out of the case and it's just totally DEAD! nothing in the display that you usually see even when it's OFF. Is there an internal battery or something? The camera is about two years old.

Thanks Brian
Brian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Asking the obvious (just in case)...

Are you sure the battery is fully charged? If so, make sure the contacts don't have a touch of oxidation built up on them (wipe them off with a pair of old jeans if nothing else).

Personally, I use a Q-tip with a touch of alcohol to clean contacts in a camera. But, this is not the recommended way of doing it (since most isopropyl alcohol you buy over the counter has a high water content that can leave a residue). So, make sure they're good and dry if you go that route. Some people use a pencil eraser for cleaning contacts, instead. You can also get a contact cleaning pen at Radio Shack and other stores designed for that purpose.

If you're got another battery, try it. I'd also use all dials, switches and buttons to make sure one isn't sticking or has any oxidation built up under one. Reseat the memory card (or try a different one), too. Ditto for the lens (remount it to make sure you have a good connection and/or try a different one).

It's more likely something simple like a bad battery if it worked fine the last time you used it. If it's two years old, it may be bad or providing a voltage that's too low for the camera to powerup since it's not seeing the correct voltage (it happens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:17 PM   #3

Thanks for th reply! The starnge this is that normally even without the battery in you usually see something in the crysal display - don't you?
Brian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:22 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't if you could see the LCD on a D50 without the main battery or not. Perhaps someone with one can comment.

If you can see something, then there may be a tiny battery installed internally to keep the clock running. But, some models use a capacitor instead for that purpose now (and many will dischange within 24 hours of the main battery being removed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:06 PM   #5
rey

So did you actually put a battery and tried it?

There is an internal battery for the clock, and it charges itself when the main battery is connected. Also, there is something on the LCD when the main battery is not connected, and I assume it uses the same internal battery. Did you charge and connect the main battery and everything is still dead?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:37 PM   #6

I just checked my D50 and with the battery out there is nothing showing on the LCD.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:52 PM   #7
rey

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I just checked my D50 and with the battery out there is nothing showing on the LCD.
You're right, nothing shows up. I got it confused with not having the memory card in.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:59 PM   #8

rey wrote:
Quote:
tcook wrote:
Quote:
You're right, nothing shows up. I got it confused with not having the memory card in.
At first I thought something was wrong with my camera when I shut it off and the LCD still showed the number of shots for the memory card.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:04 AM   #9

Does anybody know how to hide display of photo information on Nikon D50? I pressed the up arrow on the multi selector and "Highlight" is showing on the bottom of the photoson my LCD.
nikon.newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:42 AM   #10

nikon.newbie wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know how to hide display of photo information on Nikon D50? I pressed the up arrow on the multi selector and "Highlight" is showing on the bottom of the photoson my LCD.
Hello,

I ran into this too awhile back, but all you have to do is just keep pressing the UP arrow on the multi selector and it'll go through some other items (ie: histogram, etc) and eventually bring you back to the file name.

Hope that helps!

-myeah-
myeah is offline   Reply With Quote