Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:06 PM   #21

Oh yes, most shots were taken in the family room, so no more than 7-8 feet from the camera. The subjects close to the camera were well exposed but the surrounding area (within less than 10 feet) was in the dark. My Sony H1 has a better flash output than the D40.

Talking about ISO (as you suggested previously), I think that the ISO settingand ISO AUTO on the D40is a ridiculous implementation of the AUTO ISO. See, in P/S/A/M modes, you can not choose AUTO ISO. You must pick a value. The way to get the AUTO ISO then is by turning ISO AUTO (a different feature in a different menu), ON. Thiscombination works as if you had set the ISO to AUTO. The camera starts with the set ISO value (say 200) and it increases it as needed up to 1600. If you want to go higher (the equivalent to 3200), you must forcethe ISO to HI. The question is, why not enable AUTO ISO in P/S/A/M modes to begin with??? AUTO ISO is only available if the camera is in AUTO MODE or in one of the preset modes. Silly, really!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:13 PM   #22

Wow, those are some nice photos. I thought about the D40, but ended up getting the K100d. I'm happy with it

Greta shots
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:42 PM   #23

Thanks, Flaco. Funny you said that. I'm so disappointed with the flash performance and image softnessof this camera that I'm thinking about getting a K100D and selling this one on eBaybecause Beachcamera charges a 10-20% re-stocking fee + s/h(I even got a spare Nikon battery for it). Can you post some images from your K100D? What are the pros and cons? You can send me a PM on the subject if you wish since this is a Nikon forum.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:02 PM   #24

Tullio,

What great shots and GREAT timing! I just ordered my D40 yesterday and it is on its way to me already. I labored and sweated over all the pros and cons of the limited lense issue as I really love lots of zoom and very close macro, and do not have endless funds for the limited list of high priced lenses. But the D40 felt absolutely perfect to hold, likeit was made for my small hands, and I couldn't ignore it. I tried so hard to like the D50 but the grip was just too big for me. Your photos and the converter idea have assured me that I made a good choice. I should have only one additional lense to save for now, that big bad boy 70-300 zoom. I think I have macro covered for now with the converter.

I learned off an old Minolta T102 with manual EVERYTHING, so I think I will be in heaven with the D40. I can hardly wait for the purple truck! After a string of "make do" cameras, I think Iwill finally have the camera that I will not outgrow for a looooonnnng time. Thanks for the post. It made my day.

Camalot
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:55 PM   #25

Thanks, Camalot. The D40 did feel right at the first time I held it. I did not want a camera much larger than the D40. A have a few friends who have the D50/D80 and I find them a bit too big for me. I hope you enjoy your new toy!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:14 AM   #26

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
¬*
Talking about ISO (as you suggested previously), I think that the ISO setting¬*and ISO AUTO on the D40¬*is a ridiculous implementation of the AUTO ISO. See, in P/S/A/M modes, you can not choose AUTO ISO. You must pick a value. The way to get the AUTO ISO then is by turning ISO AUTO (a different feature in a different menu), ON. This¬*combination works as if you had set the ISO to AUTO. The camera starts with the set ISO value (say 200) and it increases it as needed up to 1600. If you want to go higher (the equivalent to 3200), you must force¬*the ISO to HI. The question is, why not enable AUTO ISO in P/S/A/M modes to begin with??? AUTO ISO is only available if the camera is in AUTO MODE or in one of the preset modes. Silly, really!¬*
Tullio,

If you are shooting in Auto P you still have control of aperture and shutter speed with the dial (or the camera will select if you don't move the dial,) and in Custom 10 you can set the point at which ISO Auto will begin to increase the ISO speed. At least that's my impression.

Once you get the in-camera settings what you need for exposure, sharpening, etc., it should be making very good images for you.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:17 PM   #27

Thanks for your reply, JDar. The P* mode does notgive methe full aperture range (as you get in A mode). So, I tend to either use P or A. Yes, I can setthe ISO sensitivity to any value between 200 and3200. Then, if I have ISO AUTO turnedON, the camera will increase the ISO (from the value I have set) up to 1600. So, to get ISO 3200, I have to force it in the ISO sensitivity setting. The thing is, when you use flash, the camera does not seem to automatically increase the ISO from its original value. In my case, I have the initial ISO set to 200 so every shot taken w/ flash, had the ISO set to 200. Because the images were dark, not only I have to increase the flash output but I also have to increase the ISO to allow more light in.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:26 PM   #28

Camalot-

Welcome to the Nikon D-40 club. After seeing Tullio's images, I too ordered a D-40. The Nikkor 18-200mm VR seems to be the ideal lens, but it is very hard to find. Instead, I am looking at the Nikkor 70-300mmVR lens, I just hope it is not huge.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:57 PM   #29

Thanks, Sarah. I think you gave me some words of advice when I was in the midst of analysis paralysis a few weeks ago whether to go super zoom or dslr. As you can see, I finally made the decision. And just in time! My poor husband was just about at the point of drooling and humming in a corner of the closet with all my yammering on about what to do....The new toy was on my doorstep today when I got home from work and I am emersed in the manual and all the cool buttons and menu selections. I admit, when I first fired it up I kind of froze for a few moments and thought, "Holy cow, what have I done???" But I am over that now and ready to dive right in. Heck, I'm a collige grajuit. How hard can it be?

Thanks again!

Camalot
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:28 PM   #30

Camalot-

Have fun withyour Nikon D-40. I am sure it is a great camera. I have owned the D-70 and I am really looking forward to the arrival of my D-40. The main issue is to stretch your imagination, your expectations, and anything that has limited you in the past.

Let this be a creative and fun experience. I will look forward to your posting of your favorite D-40 photos. Best of luck to you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote