Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1

I am taking a photography class, and we are working with hot lights strobes and soft boxes....

Tonight I hooked up my camera to the24/24 bowens powerbox and I could not get the lights that were attaced to flashwhen I took the picture. I had put the AS-15 in the hot shoe ontop of my camera and attached the sync cord correctly.... Other people with diferent camera were able to get the lights to flash with their conectivity.

Is there something else I need to do on my camera? Can anyone help me figure out how to set everything up? My instructor uses a cannon, so she was not sure how to assist me, but she said the basic set-up looked correct.

Reading the instructions, and what you said for the other person is exactly what I did, I feel I am missing something, since it did not work.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2

Don't know how the D70 works, but on my camera there is a setting in the menu that needs to be changed for the hot shoe to be turned on, simply putting a flash or adapter in the hot shoe won't do it. Look in your manual for hot shoe flash instruction.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:57 AM   #3

I've got a Nikon D80, and when I use my wireless remote trigger to trigger the strobes, I have to press the flash button so the flash fires. I'm guessing that since you're using hot ilghts, your camera may not think it's needs to use the flash. Push the flash button (Looks like a lightning bolt) until you see it in the top control panel. Your on board flash may fire, but that's fine, because it will be overpowered with the studio lights. Also, on the D80, I've got the ability to "turn down" the power of the on board flash, which I always do when shooting using strobes. Hope this helps!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:26 AM   #4

What MODE are you using? Auto, Program or Manual?

For studio strobes you will need to use Manual. Set the shutter speed to the correct sync speed or less, then use a flash meter to get the aperature you need for correct exposure and set that on the camera.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:52 AM   #5

I have it in maunel mode. We set the apeture to 8 and the shutter speed to 1/250, as that was what we determined with the light meter.

I am hoping by changingthe flas mode fromttl to manuel, it will work.

Is this what I ammissing?? ANd why it did not work?

THANKS for everything and all the advise.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:34 AM   #6

Manual mode is fine, that's expected when using strobes. But, another thing to check is the shutter speed. I would use 1/60, and use a larger apperture, if possible. It MAY be the case that your camera won't synch with a 1/250 shutter speed. If you're getting totally black pictures, that may be the case. Lower the shutter speed, use a higher numbered aperture, and make sure your flash will fire (Get the lightning bolt to show up) and you should be OK.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7

Hi Hokiegirl,

Go into your camera menue and turn on the external flash setting.

Instructions are in your manual.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:39 AM   #8

:?I am having a hard time locating where to change it to external flash. The Manuel sucks, and I have looked everywhere for it. I sm at a loss.:sad::sad:

As for the apeture and shutter speed. The ones I had picked, was what we had metered with a light meter. You should not be limited to what appeture you use. The other Nikon user (D200) had no problem taking her pictures with that shutter speed and apeture, and she did not have to do any adjustments on her camera.

The cannon users had no problem either.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:37 PM   #9

Hi Hokiegirl,

Try # 20 on your camera menue. Turn it to "ON". I just went to Steves review of the D70 and that is the only thing I see in the Menue pertaining to external flash settings.

Other then that!!!!!

Take your camera to a local regular camera store and they will show you how to open your menue to turn the external flash on. The person with the D200 had to at one time go into the menue to turn it on. Do you have a D70?

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:57 PM   #10

Thanks Ronnie.I have a d70s. The flash is on, I checked.

Hughs, Even though I metered and set the camera at 1/250 as the light meter said when I looked in the menue, #21 was set to 1/60. I am not sure what that means though.

I will go to a camera place to see if they can help me.

Thanks!!