Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

This post is for D200 owners as well btw...

With the D40 you can't have "AUTO ISO" while in P/S/A/M modes. You have to be either in AUTO or one of the preset modes. If you're in P/S/A/M then you have to choose an ISO value. However, if you go into the menus, you can get AUTO ISO ON if you go to CSM setting 10. At which point the ISO will change automatically based on the ISO value you set in the ISO Sensitivity menu. Is this the same for the D80 and the D200? Just want to make sure.

With my Sony DSC-H1 P&S all I have to do is go to the ISO menu and select "AUTO". That's it! And I'd have "auto ISO" whether I'm in P/S/A/M or any of the other shooting modes. Why couldn't Nikon do this too? (Shrugs)

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:11 PM   #2
rey

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
This post is for D200 owners as well btw...

With the D40 you can't have "AUTO ISO" while in P/S/A/M modes. You have to be either in AUTO or one of the preset modes. If you're in P/S/A/M then you have to choose an ISO value. However, if you go into the menus, you can get AUTO ISO ON if you go to CSM setting 10. At which point the ISO will change automatically based on the ISO value you set in the ISO Sensitivity menu. Is this the same for the D80 and the D200? Just want to make sure.

With my Sony DSC-H1 P&S all I have to do is go to the ISO menu and select "AUTO". That's it! And I'd have "auto ISO" whether I'm in P/S/A/M or any of the other shooting modes. Why couldn't Nikon do this too? (Shrugs)

Thanks.
I don't understand what you mean. So there is Auto ISO while in P/S/A/M after you enable Auto ISO, right? I don't get the problem.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:05 PM   #3

Rey,

There really isn't a "problem". What I'm wondering from a D80 or a D200owner is if this is how AUTO ISO is also implemented in their respective cameras. If not how is it different. Simple! :-)

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 PM   #4
rey

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Rey,

There really isn't a "problem". What I'm wondering from a D80 owner is if this is how AUTO ISO is also implemented. If not how is it different. :-)

It looks like the D40 is the same as the D80 and the same as the D200, and they're different from the D50. The D50 has a separate CSM option for scenes and P/S/A/M mode and it doesn't have a max sensitivity choice option. What happens in D40 when you hit the max ISO? I assume it compensates for it with longer shutter speed. Is that right?

You can checkout D80's CSM menu from Steve's review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...n_d80_pg4.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:05 PM   #5

rey wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Rey,

There really isn't a "problem". What I'm wondering from a D80 owner is if this is how AUTO ISO is also implemented. If not how is it different. :-)

It looks like the D40 is the same as the D80 and the same as the D200, and they're different from the D50. The D50 has a separate CSM option for scenes and P/S/A/M mode and it doesn't have a max sensitivity choice option. What happens in D40 when you hit the max ISO? I assume it compensates for it with longer shutter speed. Is that right?

You can checkout D80's CSM menu from Steve's review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...n_d80_pg4.html

You got it! A red light will blink and you will get a shutter speed less than the max you set. And yes the implementation of AUTO ISO in the D40 is exactly the same as in the D80 and the D200. Just found this out in another forum from a D200 owner and a D80 owner.

Take it easy rey! I'm outta here (this thread of mine)...
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:14 AM   #6

I have a question to further this thread..........

*edit*

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Nevermind. I figured it out.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote