Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1

I am on the verge of putting a crowbar in my wallet & buying my first Digital SLR. I've more or less gotten it down to one of the Nikons, either the 6 megapixel or 10 megapixel cameras. Basically cost wise is about $300 difference in them.

I have several lenses that fit my old Nikon FE 35mm camera.

A couple of them are 35mm Nikon/Nikkor lenses, which I am sure would fit the D80/D50 cameras.

Another one is a Quantary f4 70-210 zoom lens, which may or may not work on the D50/D80.

The third one - and this one is the most important to me - is a 135mm Vivitar f2.8 lens. A similar one is here:

http://m42.povlab.org/lens_detail.php?lid=418

All of the lenses are manual lenses.

From what I understand, on the D40 with manual lenses, you lose all metering functions on it. On the D50, I think that you may have basic metering with manual lenses. Can anyone confirm this? (I would assume it would be the same on the D80).

The other question I have is will my Vivitar 135mm f2.8 lens work on any of the Nikon digitals? How about the Quantaray?

I've called both Nikon & Vivitar to ask the same questions, but that was futile. Nikon won't say anything but a Nikon lens will work on any of the cameras, and Vivitar says since the lens wasn't manufactured for a digital camera, it "may or may not" work, from the best I could gather. The tech person I spoke with wasn't very specific as to what might not work - I could never get him to say if it was a physical hardware mounting problem, or if it had a different focal point or what.

Can someone who's possibly been down this road before offer any advice?

Thanks

SC
schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

Assuming your lenses are at least AI lenses, they will work on any of the three in manual focusing and metering mode. Autoexposure will not work with any body below a D200. You will have to meter manually, even on the D80.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:45 PM   #3

I know one of the lenses I have (the Macro Nikkor lens) has "ears" on it.

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

The Vivitar 135 f2.8 lens

http://m42.povlab.org/lens_detail.php?lid=418

looks almost exactly like the one pictured there.

I'd say that nothing I have is AI lenses. My 35mm camera is a Nikon FE. Not sure of the serial number or when it was made.

SC

schatham is offline   Reply With Quote