Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1

I recently purchased a D50 kit with the 18-55 & 55-200 lenses. I have been doing lots of reading in the last couple of weeks, and have decided I would like to pick up a normal lens. I have been looking at the 50mm f/1.8 in particular. Now, money always being an issue, I have been watching eBay for a good deal. I have seen a lot of lenses listed, and the price range is just crazy. I have seen used 50mm f/1.8d listed for US$150, which is confusing considering when I look on Amazon.com I can purchase a new 50mm f/1.8d for US$109 + tax + shipping.

First question, why do used lenses seem to cost as much if not more than new lenses?

Second question, there are a lot of 50mm f/1.8 AF lenses listed on eBay. From what I have read in these forums and in the manual, it looks as though they should work fine with my D50. Of course when I look at the Nikon sitethey list a chart. How do I distinguish between a CPU and a Non-CPU lens? I know all D lensesdisplay the D after the f1.8, but what about the AF-S and AF-I and the G lenses? Do they have similar markings?

Here is an auction that I have been looking at:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Autofocus Nikkor (Japan) Lens

(image of the lens from the auction attached)

Which AF lens is it? Is it a CPU or Non-CPU lens? Does it support all functions excpet 3D metering as stated in the Nikon chart?

Any and all help appreciated!

Mark

Attached Images

wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
rey

First off, "normal lens" is usually 45 to 50mm on 35mm format, because the D50 uses a sensor that's smaller, the 50mm is effectively 75mm.

The 50 F/1.8 that I bought is the current one, marked 1.8D and it cost me around $110. Some of the 50mm lenses are faster than 1.8. But some just cost more because it has been discontinued and are rare, whether they are optically better, I don't know.

Here's what I have:

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3

Pretty much all AF lenses, including AF-S and AF-I lenses, (except the ones that were made specifically for the F3) are CPU lenses and will work just fine on a D50.

The lens in question looks like an earlier AF version (looks like a Made in Japan version) and will be fine for your D50.

Some people might list the Japan-made version at a higher price than the current Made in China version.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4

Thanks Rey & tebac, I appreciate your help!
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:27 AM   #5

Hello wall33! I purchased the 50mm 1.8 for my D-50 a year and just love it!!!!! It is awesomein lowlight situations. I paid $110 for mine, I really think for the money this lens should be in every Nikon owners camera bag.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:40 PM   #6

I am also excited about the Nikon 50mm F- 1.4D that I just got for my D-50. It is an amazing lens. Here is a sample photo taken this afternoon.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:17 PM   #7

Mark--

Ken Rockwell has a nice page on Nikon lens info detailing the various aspects/capabilities that may be of assistance...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote