Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:07 PM   #1

If you have the AUTO ISO ON can you still manually select an ISO value using the dedicated ISO button at a moments notice? Or, would you have to turn off the AUTO ISO?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:39 AM   #2

I turn off my auto ISO if I want to use a specific ISO such as 200 or 800 etc. I use the auto ISO when doing a project such as in and out of buildings or the light keeps changing drastically. Wedding receptions are good to use auto ISO. I set it to function from 200 to 800 and set my camera to aperture preferred at F-5.6 or F-8and let the computer set the shutter speed and whatever ISO is needed to get the photo. It works great on my D200 and I don't have to worry about improper exposures because I forgot to reset something. Read your manual and it will explain better then I can.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:24 PM   #3

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I turn off my auto ISO if I want to use a specific ISO such as 200 or 800 etc. I use the auto ISO when doing a project such as in and out of buildings or the light keeps changing drastically. Wedding receptions are good to use auto ISO. I set it to function from 200 to 800 and set my camera to aperture preferred at F-5.6 or F-8and let the computer set the shutter speed and whatever ISO is needed to get the photo. It works great on my D200 and I don't have to worry about improper exposures because I forgot to reset something. Read your manual and it will explain better then I can.

Ronnie
Hello Ronnie,

Thanks for commenting. But I just wanted to know that while in AUTO ISO can you suddenly decide to select a specific ISO speed. Or if you must have AUTO ISO OFF to do so. I'm not sure if it says so on the manual but I'll check.

Btw...I haven't bought a D200 as of yet. As I am waiting on an upcoming DSLR from that other company. Though, the D200 is at the top of my list right now.

Later.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:49 PM   #4

Yes,you would need to turn off the AUTO-ISO. With it turned to Auto the camera will change your ISO as needed. With it off you will set the ISO and it will remain what you set it.

Ronnie
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Yes,you would need to turn off the AUTO-ISO. With it turned to Auto the camera will change your ISO as needed. With it off you will set the ISO and it will remain what you set it.

Ronnie
Ok thanks Ronnie!

I think it would have been nice if the D200 allowed you to suddenly switch to manual mode just by tapping the ISO button. You could be shooting in AUTO ISO ON mode. Decide you'd rather raise the ISO speed. Or maybe decrease it. As the case maybe. You just might not be happy with the choice the camera has made. Oh well. Not a big deal.

I'm assuming with AUTO ISO ON the ISO choices are moreless on the ball correct? Most of the time?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:47 AM   #6

The Auto ISO is for people like me that sometimes will forget to change the setting because I'm doing ten things at the same time while doing a wedding or inside/outside party type project. On the D200 it can be set at whatever you want to begin and end such as 100 to 800 or 100 all the way to 1600 or any combination. It does exactly what you forget to do and there is really no reason to over ride it. If you don't want to use it you just plain turn it off and set your ISO your self. There are times when to use it and other times not to use it. I always use aperture priority and set my lens F-stop to F5.6 or F-8 and the auto ISO works just fine for what I do.

Of course when using studio strobes you will need to turn it off and set the lights and ISO the same to get your proper readings.

Ronnie

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
The Auto ISO is for people like me that sometimes will forget to change the setting because I'm doing ten things at the same time while doing a wedding or inside/outside party type project. On the D200 it can be set at whatever you want to begin and end such as 100 to 800 or 100 all the way to 1600 or any combination. It does exactly what you forget to do and there is really no reason to over ride it. If you don't want to use it you just plain turn it off and set your ISO your self. There are times when to use it and other times not to use it. I always use aperture priority and set my lens F-stop to F5.6 or F-8 and the auto ISO works just fine for what I do.

Of course when using studio strobes you will need to turn it off and set the lights and ISO the same to get your proper readings.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie! Just wondered. On to other things....