Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:08 PM   #1

This one is basically for any D2X/D2Xs owner but is also open to any one considering either of the two over a D200. Why? What does either the D2X/D2Xs offer you that would make you pass up the D200? Curious. :-)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2

I have a friend that has a D2X and ithas more features then the D200. The trouble is it isis heavy and bulky and the extra features on it you don't really need in the real world.I used it a few times and was happy to get back to my D100 at that time. I now have a D200 and it is a truly great camera. He used my D200 once and went out and bought one of His own. I have not seen him with his D2X since he bought the D200. The D200 is much lighter to carry all day and night like when doing a wedding. The D200 also has a built in flash which can be used as a master to control the SB-800 & SB-600 Nikon speedlights using the wireless function.

The D2X costs more and I don't really know if it will take better pictures in some situations. For what I do, I have used both and I like My D200 much,Much better.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:06 PM   #3

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend that has a D2X and ithas more features then the D200. The trouble is it isis heavy and bulky and the extra features on it you don't really need in the real world.I used it a few times and was happy to get back to my D100 at that time. I now have a D200 and it is a truly great camera. He used my D200 once and went out and bought one of His own. I have not seen him with his D2X since he bought the D200. The D200 is much lighter to carry all day and night like when doing a wedding. The D200 also has a built in flash which can be used as a master to control the SB-800 & SB-600 Nikon speedlights using the wireless function.

The D2X costs more and I don't really know if it will take better pictures in some situations. For what I do, I have used both and I like My D200 much,Much better.

Ronnie
Hello Ronnie948,

Thanks for posting. As I mentioned I asked just out of curiosity. Perhaps the D2X is more a studio camera. Or a camera better suited to "fine art" photography where you have all the time in the world to compose the shot.

I downloaded a podcast where a "Pro" (hate that word...sounds too pretentious IMHO) photographer, Vincent Versace, admitted that when he's travelling he usually uses his D200. That he finds his D2X too heavy to carry around 8 hours a day...etc.

Any ways I just wanted to hear from D2X/D2Xs owners, people considinering one, or people with experience. Hope to hear from more people.

For me, I'll most likely pickup a D200. Sounds like the camera thats best suited to me in the Nikon DSLR line up.

Regards.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:09 AM   #4

I would only conseder the D2Xs if speed was the issue or your going to Iraq and you need a very tough camera for rugged field work. Go for the D200 you will never notice the difference in picture quality unless you only shoot test charts all day, spend the money you saved on fast lenses and maybe a trip to death valley for a week long photo shoot.

Glen Lastiwka
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:04 AM   #5

I have both, I got the D2X first and the D200 as a 2nd body. The D200 is the body I use most now. It's smaller size and built in flash are a big plus; I have 2 SB800s but if I don't think I'lll need flash I don't need to carry one "Just in case". But the D2X focuses faster is better built and is easier to use with long lenses. The ISO and WBcontrolbeing on the back of the camerameans (with practice)you can change it with the camera to you eye and still support the lens with your left hand. The D2X has atmosphericsealing around the lens mount and is much more rugged, just look at the battery door for example.

If I was buying again I would get the D200 or even 2. If I was a pro I'd get both over 2 D2Xs. Having both for most things I only take the D200. I take the D2X if I need 2 bodies andit is my first choice for motorsport (which is only a small part of my photography). There, the faster focusing and better handling with long glass is a big plus.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote