Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

Just noticed today Nikon released new firmware for both the D40 and D80. Though, it doesn't look like they addressed the overexposure problem in the D80 (not sure if they addressed the underexposure prob in the D40). I read about this on another forum. Have any of you D80 owners run into any overexposure problems? Love to hear from you.

Thanks.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8735-8807

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2

I don't think the meter is faulty, it's just different. Previous nikon DSLR's exposed to preserve highlights (slight underexposure), whereas the D80 does not. Once you get used to the difference, it's not an issue. Also, this difference is only noticeable in Matrix, not in center or spot metering.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:18 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the meter is faulty, it's just different. Previous nikon DSLR's exposed to preserve highlights (slight underexposure), whereas the D80 does not. Once you get used to the difference, it's not an issue. Also, this difference is only noticeable in Matrix, not in center or spot metering.
Well, even if it's only noticeable when in Matrix mode I think it might still bother some people. People considering the D80 and some current owners. And that would make this not just "different". Why should the D80 owner have to live with this quirk in one of the three metering modes? Why not not have the camera "overexpose" the pics occasionally while in Matrix mode? It doesn't happen with the D200. Nor the D50.

Just don't know about the D80. :? Hmmm...shall I go with the D200 or jump ship? (Shrugs)

The Scubber,

The picture looks vaguely overexposed. Especially around the white feathers. Washing out the detail. Was your camera set to Matrix metering mode? Did you later try to compensate the exposure?

And thanks for posting! I think you've might have just illustrated my point.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4

I've got a D80 and wonder, at times, what I'm doing wrong. Most of my Bald Eagle shots lack detail in the head feathers. Is exposure at fault ? I'll attach an example.

Steve
Attached Images

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:44 PM   #5

Yes...matrix metering. I'm having trouble with all the settings when I'm out shooting. I'd like to have selected spot metering, but couldn't remember how..plus cold hands in gloves and dogs barking at eagle ! I like the camera, but delete way more "spoiled" shots than I do with my Coolpix 8800 or P4. Maybe it's just stupid old me !
Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 PM   #6

The Scubbler wrote:
Quote:
Yes...matrix metering. I'm having trouble with all the settings when I'm out shooting. I'd like to have selected spot metering, but couldn't remember how..plus cold hands in gloves and dogs barking at eagle ! I like the camera, but delete way more "spoiled" shots than I do with my Coolpix 8800 or P4. Maybe it's just stupid old me !
Steve
Hello Steve,

I doubt it's "stupid old you". From what I've read about the D80 (and D40...which underexposes pics) I'd bet it's the camera. Other D80 users have been complaining about how the D80 tends to overexpose pics. That they have to use "exposure compensation". Which depending on the timing of the shot might cause you to miss the shot if you have to retake it. As you've probably experienced.

I've talked to a D200 friend who's friend had a D80. Got rid of it. Not sure if it's for this reason but I'd bet it is. And bought a D200. Has been very happy since.

Check the D80 forum at http://www.dpreview.com for user comments. I'm just echoing what I've read.

I was considering the D80 as my "budget DSLR" choice. But this has be concerned. Why should I spend my hard earned money only to run into this annoyance? Even if it's only noticeable in Matrix mode.

I'd rather spend the extra dollars for the D200. Which doesn't under- or overexpose it's pics. Is a more solid camera. And can do 5 fps (matters to me...I like to shoot sports/dance sometimes). Why not have an extra 2 fps? (there are many other reasons of course)
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:19 AM   #7

All cameras have metering "quirks", and strengths and weaknesses when exposing. I haven't found that I use EV compensation any more or less with the D80 than with my D50 or D70. I just use it in different situations. Once you recognize what those situations are, it's really a non issue (for me at least). I had more exposure problems with the D70, and if you check old forums, you'll find as many complaints about the D70's meter, which over time died out as people adjusted to the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:12 AM   #8

Scubbler, your eagle shot looks like a Depth of Field issue not an issue with exposure. The eye is soft and that would not be caused by exposure. The feather detail would be lost quickly if the focus is not perfect. The shot looks like the focal point was the birds feet and the branch he was sitting on and since it has an upward angle... the head is farther away. The exposure looks fine, in fact better than fine.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:36 AM   #9

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
All cameras have metering "quirks", and strengths and weaknesses when exposing. I haven't found that I use EV compensation any more or less with the D80 than with my D50 or D70. I just use it in different situations. Once you recognize what those situations are, it's really a non issue (for me at least). I had more exposure problems with the D70, and if you check old forums, you'll find as many complaints about the D70's meter, which over time died out as people adjusted to the camera.
Well, assuming you're right. That "All cameras have meter "quirks", and strengths and weaknesses..." I have yet to come across any threads saying so about the D200 (D2X nor the Canon 5D). Not that I've gone searching through every single thread in every Nikon forum. And I've talked to several D200 owners. None of them mention any metering quirks. At least when it comes to over or underexposing pics. Go figure.

And regaring The Scubbler's eagle pics...could he really be consistely having DOF issues? I could understand the odd pic but many times over? (Shrugs)
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:26 AM   #10

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
And regaring The Scubbler's eagle pics...could he really be consistely having DOF issues? I could understand the odd pic but many times over? (Shrugs)
The thread started over a defective D80 matrix meter and hopes of a patch to fix it. Having not seen the rest of Scubbler's photos, I can't comment on them. This one just doesn't look like an exposure issue.

My experience with my throw-aways has been with my technique more often than anything the camera has done. I have a D80 and recently sold my D70s and the exposures are different. I naturally tend to like the darker exposures of the D70s and tend to aim for that point with my D80. But I have not seen any fault with it's exposures or more blown highlights than I did with my D70s by looking at the highlight screen. I will say though that my prints look better when exposed brighter. I used to expose -.7 and then print +2 clicks brighter. Now I just leave it alone and enjoy the prints.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote