Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:47 AM   #1

Hi All,

I've managed to save up for a while now andfinally bought myself a D50 (Yay!), coming from a Fuji Finepix 2800z (!) I've also bought myselfa 50mm 1.8D, my first lens. (not really concerned with zoom at the moment...Nextbit of glassis Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 17-70)

Now to the point: I'm slowly starting to get the hang ofISO, aperture, shutter speed and exposure, but cannot for the life of me work out how to best set my up D50re. AE-L/AF-L button functions. I'm also at a loss as to the AF lock function! The manual is just a bit vague on this subject. On my Fuji, I'd point at the subject, depress the Shut rel. and focus / meter, then I'd move the camera to compose the shot...

I assume it has to do with flash use and correct exposure / metering? Ialso assumeit'sused totell the camera to meter (and focus?) on a specific subject and then recompose the shot, say a face against a dark background?

(Currently I have my AF set toSingle (Still), as I'll mostly be shooting portraits/ Garden 'wildlife' / Nature. Don't know if this is significant in any way?)

Hoping to post some shots soon, just waiting for the english weather to brighten up a bit so thatI can actually go out!

Apologies if the question seems vague, still getting used to things. Any help would be appreciated.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Many thanks!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jacques.
Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2
rey

What a coincidence, my previous camera before I got my D50 was the Fuji Finepix 2800z!

The AE-L/AF-L gives you different options, most important of which is separating exposure and focusing. This is especially useful when you are using Matrix metering since when you lock focus to your subject by depressing the shutter button half-way, and then recompose, the matrix scene that you locked and what you probably should using to capture the recomposed scene will more likely be different. Remember that in Matrix metering, the camera has a database of "scenes", which are combinations of metering points, and try to match your image to it. For example, if the matrix combination shows that the top points are much brighter, it will assume you're probably taking a landscape shot of sunset/sunrise, and it'll match the appropriate metering scene. So by locking a matrix scene and then recomposing, the two will more likely not match.

"AE/AF Lock" I think this was the default, and it locks both metering and focusing when the button is held down.

"AE Lock Only" locks just the exposure. Remember, the button has to be held down, not pressed and let go. You will then use the shutter button to focus and release the shutter. You'll see an "EL" on the viewfinder when exposure is locked.

So one way to use this in Matrix metering to mimick P&S is to compose your shot first, hold this button to lock metering, point to your main subject and press the shutter button halfway to lock focus, recompose back, and then release the shutter (while still holding the AE-L/AF-L button). Teadious, but, this is how you would mimick the P&S the "right way" as you meter the shot you want to capture, and focus on the subject you want to focus on.

This is probably more useful though when using spot metering. You would spot-meter and lock to a medium-gray (use compensation as needed), point to main subject and lock focus with the shutter button, compose the shot, and release the shutter.

"AF Lock Only" Locks autofocus when held down. This button doesn't invoke focusing itself. You would focus to your subject using the shutter release button, and hold AE-L/AF-L to lock focus. You then compose your shot and release the shutter.

"AE Lock Hold" This locks AND hold exposure when you press it the first time. Unlike "AE Lock Only", you won't need to hold down the AE-L/AF-L button to keep the exposure like. You press it again to unlock exposure. You'll see an "EL" on the viewfinder when exposure is locked.

"AF-ON" This disables autofocusing from the shutter release button. You can only lock auto with this button. Basically, you would lock focus using this, compose your shot, and then use the shutter button to release the shutter.

"FV Lock" I've never used this, but it locks the flash value calculation. Flash values are calculated with a pre-flash, so you would see the pre-flash when you press this, but not when you actually release the shutter.

-> I'm 99% sure these are accurate, and if I missed something, maybe someone can correct me. Also, there might be other possible usage of each options, I'm just giving examples.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:53 PM   #3

Rey,

Thanks for the explanations, much appreciated! I'm going to play around this weekend, and if I'm still stumped I may just ask again! :-)

I may invest in the D50 Nikon Field Guide and 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson as 'get going' guides. These seem to be good buys.

Thanks again, and happy shooting!

-Jacques.
Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:14 PM   #4
rey

Jacques_T wrote:
Quote:
Rey,

Thanks for the explanations, much appreciated! I'm going to play around this weekend, and if I'm still stumped I may just ask again! :-)

I may invest in the D50 Nikon Field Guide and 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson as 'get going' guides. These seem to be good buys.

Thanks again, and happy shooting!

-Jacques.
Bryan Peterson's book is pretty good. I have the Nikon Field Guide, but I would suggest you skip it, and go for Thom Hogan's ebook.
http://www.bythom.com/

rey is offline   Reply With Quote