Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:01 PM   #1

Has any one heard anything about the D200's replacement the "D200s"? Perhaps we'll hear something at the PMA show? Seems it's about time for the next version assuming Nikon is still going by the "18-month period between new models" rule. And, wasn't the D200 introduced in the early Fall of 2005? Any how, it would be interesting to see if Nikon does debut a "D200s" at the upcoming show as Canon should be debuting their 30D replacement, the 40D, as well in the coming months. This could turn out to be a very interest year.

Love to see new features such as...

1. A "rule of thirds" grid instead of what is available now. A "rule of quarters" grid. Small thing but something I'm sure other people would like to see in the D200s too.

2. I'd like to see the flash automatically pop up in low light so you wouldn't have to remember to manually raise it. And if you prefer not to have the flash automatically pop up have an option to disable it in the CSM.

3. The ability to select specific ISO values at a moments notice while in ISO AUTO mode using the dedicated ISO button. And then allow you to return to the ISO AUTO mode with a "last setting switch".

4. Better battery life per battery per charge. 300 odd shots is pathetic!! I can get more than that with a pair of Powerex 2700 mAh NiMHs AA's in my Sony DSC-H1. My only gripe against the D200.:roll:

5. Support for the Sandisk Extreme III 16GB and Lexar 8GB Professional memory cards.

6. Two CF card slots. One for RAW photos and one for JPG. Or both for RAW photos or JPG. To have either option. Imagine having two 16GB cards onboard!! For approxiamately 960 full res RAW shots per card.

7. 8 fps continuous shooting and a larger buffer. Yes I know I'm reaching here. But wouldn't that be good to have as well?

8. A 3" LiveView LCD like the one offered in the Canon 1DM3? But with one difference. Be able to AF while in LiveView Mode. Just like you would with a compact digital camera.

9. Extend the useable ISO range from 100-1600 to 100-3200 while in ISO Auto.

Any how, for now all we can do is wait and see.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2

Why would Nikon want to screw up a great camera, They should just leave it alone for a while. I can't find anything I do not like with my D200.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:15 PM   #3

That may be just what Nikon will do, Ronnie. I happen to agree with you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:20 PM   #4

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Why would Nikon want to screw up a great camera, They should just leave it alone for a while. I can't find anything I do not like with my D200.

Ronnie
Why would they "screw" things up by adding new features? Besides, isn't it the nature of the business to periodically "update" models every 18 months or so?

But yeah I do think the D200 is a great camera. It's on the top of my list for now. Will just have to wait and see if Nikon doesn't introduce a "D200s" this year. And if Canon doesn't introduce their 40D. Which I doubt in both cases. I think it's time.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:23 PM   #5

I think you'll see a new pro body, a D3 something before the D200 gets updated, and possibly something to slot in between the D40 and D80. I'm not sure what else can be added to the D200 to make it better, aside from dropping the price. I really think the next step is maybe a few minor tweaks to the D200 (D200s maybe) and then maybe we'll see a D300 sometime next year, which could possibly be a full frame.

The debate and speculation can be fun, but personally I wouldn't wait if I were in the market for a new camera. The current crop is solid and I think the next generation of bodies will only represent a marginal step up in quality and features, at very good prices. The D200-D80 bodies were a pretty big leap forward over their predecessors, and the next big significant leap will probably come in the following generation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:59 PM   #6

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I think you'll see a new pro body, a D3 something before the D200 gets updated, and possibly something to slot in between the D40 and D80. I'm not sure what else can be added to the D200 to make it better, aside from dropping the price. I really think the next step is maybe a few minor tweaks to the D200 (D200s maybe) and then maybe we'll see a D300 sometime next year, which could possibly be a full frame.

The debate and speculation can be fun, but personally I wouldn't wait if I were in the market for a new camera. The current crop is solid and I think the next generation of bodies will only represent a marginal step up in quality and features, at very good prices. The D200-D80 bodies were a pretty big leap forward over their predecessors, and the next big significant leap will probably come in the following generation.
Hello RJ,

Not sure what they could do to make the D200 better? I think the few changes I mentioned would be a good start. Not to mention better noise control at high ISO speeds. And how about having it "made in Japan" for biased people like me?

As I mentioned. I don't dispute the fact that the D200 is already a great camera. The thought behind the design is a exemplary IMHO though not perfect. Then again what design is? I'm just expecting an "update" this year. Hopefully at the upcoming PMA show.

I'm in no real hurry for a new DSLR. But I do plan to buy one this year. Whether that is in the Spring or near Xmas time. I just hope to pick up the "right one". And being as I'm not in a hurry why not wait to see what's going to be introduced? I already have a digicam to shoot with.

And about speculation...yes it is fun. Companies are already rolling out new models as we near the PMA show. As you probably are already aware. Maybe we'll see something from Nikon in the coming weeks.

Have a good week!!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:15 AM   #7

Most of the improvements in performance/handling would take it even closer to the D2Xs so I suspect Nikon would want to up the D2 first.

I don't think Nikon are in any hurry to go full frame and, even if they did, I suspect it would be a complimentary model to an improvedAPS sized sensor model as, for most shooters, the gains don't outweigh the losses.

I think a firmware upgrade would be nice. I'd really like the function button to be different depending on whether you are using flash or not and the af on button could be programmable as well.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:15 PM   #8

Well, Nikon yesterday announced a few Coolpix cameras. No DSLRs. Is this it from Nikon for now? Or could Nikon still announce a "D200s" in a few days? (Shrugs) I'm guessing this IS it from Nikon as far as new introductions at the upcoming PMA show. And that if they are planning to give us a D200s it won't be till this year's Photokina show in the fall.

Oh well...I was hoping...:sad:
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:43 AM   #9

Well, as you guys must have heard. Today Nikon made another announcement. This time for a new DSLR. Their D40x. Just when we assumed Nikon was done for now. As they had already announced a crop of new cameras. Does this mean we might still hear Nikon announce a "D200x"? Could they be saving the best for last? We can only hope!

And didn't Nikon just recently release the D40?? How long ago was it? Just a few months ago? Late last year? Certainly feels like it. Looks like Nikon isn't going to be waiting 2 years between models any more. Let alone the industry standard of rouighly 18 months.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:00 AM   #10

Looking at the specs of the Canon 1D MkIII I think Nikon will be in a big hurry to release a D2 successor if they want to keep the pro market.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote