Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:06 PM   #1

I have a d50 and I have always shot in JPG but have often wanted to start shootting in RAW and post prcessing my pics.

Does any of you use DxO Optics Proand if you do how do you like it and is it worth the money?

Here is the site http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo

Thanks for your comments

Perry
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2

Perry,

I never heard of this software until I saw your post. I looked at the website and was interested at least. Have you thought of downloading the 21 day full version for trial? Then you could play around with it and decide whether or not you like it. Since the only versions that support D50 lenses are the middle and upper versions, the pro version being fairly pricey(to me, anyway), I looked mainly at the middle one. At that price point, with lens correction and film filters, as well as noiseware, it seems to be a good deal. I may download the free trial myself just to check it out. I currently use Photoshop Elements 4.0 and have had to download freeware to coversome of what is included in that software. Not a problem until you format your hard drive more than once a year and have to re-load umpteen little programs each time... Good luck with your choice...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:13 AM   #3
rey

As far as I know, this software is mostly to fix distortion on lenses. I'm not sure about using it as your main image editor.

If you haven't seen this, check it out:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dxo/optics-pro.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 PM   #4

Thanks Robert and Rey for the comment.

Yes Robert I think I am going to install the demo verson and try it in a few days whenI am off work and have time to mess with it

Did you try it out yet Robert

Rey from whatI read on the report that you send me it does more than just lens corrections and I am going to try it whenI get time

Thanks again for the help and replys

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5
rey

I think it can do basic image editing, but not advance ones, like layer adjustment. I use PhotoShop Elements 4.0 and it comes with Adobe Camera RAW (so does the new 5.0 version). It doesn't correct lens distortion, but it's decent for converting RAW images.

There's also a free RAW converter from the open source community, if you want to try that out:
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:16 AM   #6

DxO is amazing imo. If your camera and lens combination is defined then you'll get the most out of it. You can let it do the adjustments automatically and the results are surprisingly good, or manually handle each adjustment in a guided mode or manually.

DxO doesn't replace PS or whatever program you may use to do retouching, but it'll jump start the process and can do batches of images at once if you need to do that.

The only poor result I've noticed (not an expert) is that a combination of recovering highlights then sharpening can lead to a poor result, and that the default sharpening is a bit strong. You can of course control all this, set preferences, re-adjust, etc.

I used the demo for about 10 days then bought the DxO Pro version. The approach DxO takes is exciting and different from any other image processing, except perhaps LightZone. I can see a use for LightZone, DxO, and PS Elements for different things and am enjoying this combination.

If you try it please report your experience. Don't be afraid to let it do its thing with a bunch of images in automatic mode then start over and tweak as much as you want within the individual modules. It works a little differently as far as interface but is easy to figure out and has a good pdf and help file.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote