Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:23 PM   #11

I decided to stop doubting my conviction that the lens is a bad copy. I took some shots on auto focus and then did the same on manual and believe there was a difference.

Anyway - Took the lens back to my dealer today. they have one of those calibration charts on the wall. They couldn't get anything sharp at any focal length.

They believe the lens needs calibration and have spoken to Nilokn. they are sorting out a replacement.

I'm glad really that my lens was so OBVIOUSLY failing, as a smaller margin of error may have meant that I kept it but never got pictures to match its true potential.

Since I put this lens straight onto my new D80, the result has been that I have not had chance to enjoy the D80 and indeed was disappointed by it.

Now that I have the 18-135 lens on, the camera is performing well. Can't wait to get a fully functioning 70-300 VR onto it.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

Also worth mentioning the beneifits of buying over the counter rather than by internet. it is dearer, but the shop support is superb.

Norm
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:29 PM   #12

I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. The 70-300 has proven to be a great lens for me. You'll be happy with it (when it's fixed/replaced).
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:31 PM   #13

Just a quick post to properly close down this thread. Nikon replaced my 70-300 VR lens and -WOW- what a difference. Everything is sharp and remains so, even in low light. Obviously, my original 70-300 VR lens was way out. The difference is like night and day.

Being without the 70-300 for a couple of weeks has forced me to explore my 18-135 and I really like the versitility and results from that lens.

The D80 with 18-135 / 70 - 300 VR combo is an awesome package.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:43 PM   #14

That's good news.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:52 PM   #15

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
Just a quick post to properly close down this thread. Nikon replaced my 70-300 VR lens and -WOW- what a difference. Everything is sharp and remains so, even in low light. Obviously, my original 70-300 VR lens was way out. The difference is like night and day.

Being without the 70-300 for a couple of weeks has forced me to explore my 18-135 and I really like the versitility and results from that lens.

The D80 with 18-135 / 70 - 300 VR combo is an awesome package.
Whatisthesharpness setting on your D80 ??
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:24 PM   #16

I originally had sharpness to 0 (zero) but increased it to +1. I am shooting JPEG and I think the +1 gives better 'out of the camera' JPEGs.

As an aside, I also had colour saturation to +1 but today returned that value to zero.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:43 PM   #17

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
I originally had sharpness to 0 (zero) but increased it to +1. I am shooting JPEG and I think the +1 gives better 'out of the camera' JPEGs.

As an aside, I also had colour saturation to +1 but today returned that value to zero.
Thank you Norm, I'll set my sharpness to +1 and see what I get from my 70-300.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:59 PM   #18

Jotajota,

The replaced lens is very good, however, a point to note, I put my old (cheap) UV filter on the lens and itdegraded the image. It may be a consideration for you, if you have a filter on your lens.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:37 PM   #19

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
Jotajota,

The replaced lens is very good, however, a point to note, I put my old (cheap) UV filter on the lens and itdegraded the image. It may be a consideration for you, if you have a filter on your lens.
Thank you Norm. I don't usually putfilters on top of a good lens unless they are very good filters, as good as the lens.!! I'm in the process of testing the lens, but work has me very busy. Thanks again.:!: