Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:01 AM   #1

I've only one concern with my D80. How many photos should I reasonably expect to get from a brand new, fully charged battery? Bearing in mind I get anything up to 800 from my D100, the current performance seems extremely dire...
I haven't used on camera flash, I did start using NEF plus jpg but discontinued that when I couldn't see any point in it for my own photos.

Howard

howardleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:42 AM   #2

Wow, I've taken about 400+ outside, without flash, on a single battery, and didn't use even half of the battery. I would try t discharge the battery entirely, and then charge it again. If it fails to take a few hnufred pics, I would get a replacement.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:53 AM   #3

[align=left]I should have added - currently the battery info is reading:

Battery is at 28%[line]Picture count at 78
[line]
Strikes me that isn't right!

Howard
[/align]
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:28 AM   #4

There has to be a problem with the battery thats no where near the the no. of photos that i am getting...

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:07 AM   #5

Here's the latest - changed battery with 19% charge left and 109 pictures taken.
Put in new battery. This was charged about 2 weeks ago and even this is down to 88%.

Howard
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Losing 12% in two weeks is ok. Did it ever get cold? Mine are always inside at about 65 degrees F, my wife likes the house cold.They usually lose less than that but that is not as bad as the old NiMh that would have been dead after two weeks. I usually get about 400 shots from mine over a two week period. So thats setting in the camera and taking pictures. I think the number is higher if I just shoot them, but have never looked because it has never been an issue. I'll watch it more closely now. I will say I use the camera now to transfer the pictures to the computer vs. a card reader and that may make a difference. The other day I killed both of them (Grip) by leaving it on all night with the PC connected. So it appears to not shut off with periods of inactivity.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:35 PM   #7

I have just got a low low picture count from my first charging of my D80 battery. HOWEVER, because the camera was new and my lens was causing quality problems, I was doing loads of testing, after every shot I was zooming into the LCD and using quite a bit of flash. I also had a VR lens, which was always switched on. I also had'review' switched on and was often in continuous auto focus.Taking all these things together, I am not surprised that my battery got hammered. -

I would think that for normal use, the battery would get up into the mid 100's which I think is a good count.

Just a thought - but do these batteries need 'grooming' for max effect, ie to they get better after they have been charged and fully discharged a few times ?
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:02 PM   #8

Yes but my D100 was - is - just unbelievable. Anything up to 800 images on a single battery charge. I can also leave it unused for ages and the thing just goes on working.
Although I rarely use the pop-up flash I'm constantly checking review, I used a 18-200 VR lens etc. without any issues over the battery.
I'm really worried that the D80 / EN-EL3e battery pairing has a major problem, at least for me. Probably under normal use it won't be too much of a problem. We'll have to wait and see.
But the concern is that so many others do NOT appear to have a problem!!
So if it continues, it will be "evoke the warranty" time.

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:27 AM   #9

This article states that in real life one should get something like 1000-2000 exposures for a d80 (and 450 - 500 for a d200): http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm.

This article also talks about 1000+ per charge: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JEux.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:34 AM   #10

Well I've recharged the original battery and we'll see how it goes. If it expires quickly I shall contact my vendor.

I'll post further news...

Howard