Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

In the manual it says it works with SDHC cards, but it doesn't show the maximum capcity of SDHC cards it will work with. It shows that it was tested with 1, 2, and 4GB SDHC cards, but nothing larger. So, I don't know if that means they simply didn't test it with larger cards or if it doesn't support them.

Has anyone used an 8 GB SDHCcard with the D40?
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:59 AM   #2

My guess is they will work fine, but couldn't be tested because they didn't have any production units available. Sandisk still doesn't list them on thier website.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:08 AM   #3

That's what I'm hoping. Newegg.com has some 8 GB SDHC cards for $37 after rebate. I'm wanting to buy one of those.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:47 AM   #4

I have a 4gb Sandisk I bought from eBay for $31 when I sold my D70s and bought the D80. It holds about the same number of shots that the D70s did with a 2gb card. I can't imagine taking all the pictures an 8gb card will hold. I think my finger would be numb.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5

True, but I'm going to Vietnam in the spring for almost a month...and I can see taking a thousand or two pictures in that time. That's spurring my interest in the 8 gb card.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:33 PM   #6
rey

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
True, but I'm going to Vietnam in the spring for almost a month...and I can see taking a thousand or two pictures in that time. That's spurring my interest in the 8 gb card.
As tempting an 8GB card is for $37, I honestly wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Especially if it's a generic card. Also, on long (and rare) trips overseas, I'd try to find a place to burn my pics to a DVD and mail it to my home address.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

Another option would be to carry 4 or 5 2gb cards. I do a lot of shooting I have had two chips fail totally over the years. It might be cheap insurance.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:04 PM   #8

Oh gosh, I'd die if I lost a card's worth of pictures!

I think I'll get a 4 GB SDHC card, and bring my standard 2 GB SD card...and swap them every 40 or 50 pictures so I don't chance losing an entire leg of the journey.

Thanks for the input