Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:54 PM   #1

I just got a brand new D40 with kit lens, 75-200 lens and SB600 flash. I'm quite impressed with the results. I did not find the Nikon software program in the box, though. There was a disc with support documentation pdf's, but not the actual program. Should that software have been included? I have to ask, because, unfortunately, I dealt with a very unscrupulous online dealer and suspect they may have removed it. If it was taken by them, I just want to know for sure that it should have been there before making any accusations.

Thanks.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:33 PM   #2

greg-

I will check to be sure but I believe that the only thing that is included is a 30 day free trial on NX, the RAW developer. I will let you know tomorrow.

I just finished checking. The CD has Nikon Picture Project on it, nothing more. BTW here is a photo taken with the kit lens, the Nikkor 18-55mm, using the SB-400 flash, which I really like a lot.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3

Sarah,

My problem is that I don't have the picture program disc. I let Nikon know that I suspect the dealer removed the disc (and also about their bait-switch tactics). I have several photo programs, so if I don't have the Nikon one, it's no big deal. Nice shot of the hubby, btw. I did get the SB600 flash myself, and I'm really pleased with that one. I'm very satisfied with all the Nikon gear. I upgraded from the Kodak P880, which is a decent camera for the price, but the image quality is visibly better with the Nikon camera.

Greg
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:22 PM   #4

You can download the Nikon software from thier web site. All you need is your serial number for the camera body. Most likely it is a newer version than came with the camera anyway.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:31 PM   #5

Thanks, Rene. I tried that, only to discover that the camera I bought online is apparently 'grey market', despite the advertised claim by the seller that it is "USA warranty". So, that means that I can't register the camera with Nikon USA and thus cannot get the download of the software. Looks like I was totally taken in by a very dishonest company, expresscameras.com. It was after I made my purchase that I learned via a link on this forum what crooks they are.

Greg
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:14 AM   #6

NOW the distain in your messages makes more sense. Photoshop elements works well and isn't that expensive either. I bought version 5.0 over the holidays for $50 so if you watch the sale fliers you should be able to get a deal.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:17 AM   #7

The owners manual that came with my D80 also had a list of what came in the box. That would be a good list to use for finger pointing.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:17 AM   #8

I have Corel Paint Shop, so I do have a good editing program. It just annoys me that the Nikon program was 'stolen' from the box by the dealer. The whole purchase makes me angry, especially since I should have known better. After I placed the order for the D40 and 55-200, I got an email to call and confirm my order. It was then that I got hustled into buying the 'upgraded' battery and charger, which turned out to be the battery/charger that Nikon includes in the kit. I was also told that the memory card included in my package would not really be adequate for the D40, so I paid extra for a super-duper high-speed card, which was no different from the card in the original deal. And now I find that the camera itself is 'grey market'. I did let Nikon know what these guys are doing, but they haven't responded at this point. Let the buyer beware still holds true.

Greg
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:50 AM   #9

I bought an N70 from a place like that once. Same pitch, same story. Charged my $16 each for spare $2 battery and other stuff I just had to have. The last thing they sold me was the upgraded lens package... Sigmas, and not the good ones. They said the Nikon lenses were plastic, can't have plastic. Then it was a magazine ad. I replaced the lenses over the years but still have the camera, I bet it was gray market too. I never checked and still have it, so it all works out in the end. Just makes you mad, I feel your pain. But you have a nice rig now. post a pick or two, unless it's to cold outside.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:24 PM   #10

You're right, I do have a very nice setup now. I just have to get past the feeling like I've been screwed in the 'deal.' I have enought faith in Nikon products to feel that I will probably not need warranty service. Most electronic gear defects show up right out of the box, in my experience.

I will post a couple of pics soon. Been shooting quite a bit with the camera, lots of fun.

Thanks for the support.

Greg