Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:28 PM   #11
Administrator

Those Sigmas are actually well liked lenses. Don't worry over that part. The biggest issue is that Nikon USA won't repair the camera if it breaks.. You may get somewhere with Nikon in Japan if it breaks. But, it would be a big hassle.

FWIW, I've delberately purchased gray market gear before (not from any of the scammers though), understanding that I was taking a risk, and I've never had a problem with what I purchased (knock on wood). But, sometimes, people are not quite as lucky.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:32 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Those Sigmas are actually well liked lenses. Don't worry over that part. The biggest issue is that Nikon USA won't repair the camera if it breaks.. You may get somewhere with Nikon in Japan if it breaks. But, it would be a big hassle.

FWIW, I've delberately purchased gray market gear before (not from any of the scammers though), understanding that I was taking a risk, and I've never had a problem with what I purchased (knock on wood). But, sometimes, people are not quite as lucky.
EXACTLY!!!

don't get me wrong I am happy with the product, it's that part of being not so luck that has me worried. Again I'm attributing it to "buyers remorse". I had my friend check it out today and he said just use it and enjoy... Everything works, then he joked just dont drop it. aranoid:
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:15 PM   #13

Rap66,

Your experience and mine are amost identical, down to the online scammers = expresscameras.com. Like you, I found out after the purchase and use of the gear what scammers they really are. After seeing the comments from resellersratings.com, I know there's no chance that I'd be able to return the grey-market camera without incurring 25% restocking fees and probably unlimited hassles all around. These reviews go back to 2001, and despite any investigations ongoing, they will probably get away with their games. I'm more mad at myself for falling victim to their gimmick. But, like you, I am very happy with the camera and lenses, so I'm going to chalk the purchase up to experience and focus (pun intended) on enjoying the equipment.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:27 PM   #14
rey

As JimC has mentioned, "grey" doesn't necessarily mean "scam". It just means it came in through a different channel. And some people buy grey products intentionally. A good example is Sigma4less.com. I think it's one of the largest Sigma sellers, but it's not an authorized Sigma USA outlet. But what people do is buy a Sigma lens, and then buy a 3rd party MACK warranty with it.

Maybe that could be something you can do. I have a MACK for one of my lens (Tokina 12-24), and I bought it since Tokina USA's default warranty is only 3 years, while the MACK I got for it is for 7 years, transferable.

I'm not very familiar with it in terms of your situation. But if your camera is less than 30 days old, and you really want some sort of peace of mind, maybe you should contact them and see if your camera qualifies for a MACK warranty. If it really is brand new, I think it will. Also, you do not need to buy the MACK warranty from the same store you bought your product. The main part is the camera or lens has to be less than 30 days old, and you MUST REGISTER the warranty with them within that 30 day period. You cannot just pay for the warranty, you need to register with them.

As far as service goes, it's a toss up, I've read good reviews, and I've read bad ones. The bad ones usually complain about time it took for repair since MACK did not have the part in stock.

Here is MACK's website:
http://www.mackcam.com/warranty.html

MACK's website has links of dealers, here's one you'll find on their list that tends to be cheaper than others. I've never used them though. I bought my MACK for my lens at the same place (adorama.com) I bought my lens because the price difference was nothing after separate shipping cost.
http://www.qualitydigital.shoppingca...age/786431.htm

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:17 PM   #15

RAP66 wrote:
Quote:
fastglass wrote:
Quote:
This situation with GREY MARKET goods being sold to UNSUSPECTING customers is BS.
-snip-
How ever I do want to comment on the above. I have NEVER heard of the term grey market . . .
. . . In short I was an UNSUSPECTING Customer¬*now reeling in buyers remorse . . .
-Rich
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been - but my intent was fully supportive of your position/ situation.

Best.

btw -

1) Who did you buy from?

2) Are they an "authorized" dealer selling USA distributer "waranteed" goods as well as grey-market?

imo
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:25 PM   #16
Administrator

My suggestion is to check the price at B&H in NYC. If the price you see from someone else is more than 10% cheaper forget it, it's a scam. B&H will often show prices for USA goods and gray market, their pricing is about as good as it gets for the real thing.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:44 PM   #17

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
-snip-
Quote:
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been - but my intent was fully supportive of your position/ situation.

Best.

btw -

1) Who did you buy from?

2) Are they an "authorized" dealer selling USA distributer "waranteed" goods as well as grey-market?

imo
no worries :blah:, I didnt want to start anything I felt a need to make a statement.

I purchased from exprescameras.com I did ask about the warranty and the guy did say "you can take it to any authorized Nikon repair site" on their website they also tout "includes a full USA Warranty" didnt see anything regarding them being an authorized dealer. Plus I wasnt aware that such a thing existed, until I read up here...

-Rich
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:13 AM   #18

Hi, I had the same problem trying to register my "USA" nikon D80 and lenses.

I wrote to NIKON and this is what they answered:

Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

Sorry about the problem you had on the Nikon Inc web site. We"re having a problem with our registration page at the moment but are working to correct it. Your products are properly registered and you can disregard the error message you received.

Thanks for using Nikon products!

jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote