Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:34 PM   #1

Got my D80 last nite but when I went to the nikon website and added it to my profile, I get a message saying that my serial is invalid :? Now I'm readin up on the shop I purchased the camera from and I'm starting to wonder how concerned I need to be in case my system needs repair.

Should I be concerned here?
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:38 PM   #2

I got my D40 about 10 days ago, and yesterday went onto NikonUSA to register it. I got the same message and found that my camera is 'grey-market' and therefore NikonUSA will have nothing to do with it, in or out of warranty. I'm sorry I waited so long and expect to have trouble returning the camera at this point. Since you just got yours, I'd advise you to return it right away.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:10 PM   #3
Administrator

Yep... You probably want to try and return it and dispute the charges. Of course, actually getting an RMA to return it to the scammers around might prove to be a futile effort, and they'll hit you with a restocking fee (typically 20 to 25%, and it will be stated somewhere in a policies section on their web site).l

Talk to your Credit Card company about it, too.

Which vendor was it? Did you need to call them to "confirm" your order an get an upsell on high priced accessories, and more?

Check your credit card history to make sure they didn't tack on unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, too.

If you were price shopping and the price was lower than the better known vendors around that are usually selling them close to cost (like http://www.buydig.com ), it's probably a gray market camera (and Nikon won't service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

Always check customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com for any vendor you consider. There are a lot of scam artists around. If they have a small number of reviews, I'd avoid them (as the scammers start up web sites with new names often and have been know to try and pad their own ratings with glowing reviews).

Stick with better known reputable vendors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:50 PM   #4

YA... I'm weighing the options now. The store is expresscameras.com I was also warned ahead of time by my friend that they do a hard sell. Well I got caught up in it and well the rest is history. Live & Learn!! so now what are my rights as a consumer? They've totally misrepresented the camera in print and verbally...

-Rich
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:03 PM   #5
Administrator

Scroll down on this page to the customer reviews for them:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

The NJ Attorney Generals office has filed a lawsuit against them:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases06/pr20061130a.html

Good Luck.

As the saying goes.. "if a price looks too good to be true....

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:25 PM   #6

i know..... lol

my original invoice was about 950... for the "platinum package"with the hard sell

the box battery is only a 30min throw away, why not upgrade to a fast charge rechargable.... 150.00, the kit card is too slow upgrade to the fast 2GB - I was expecting a good brand and god shipped a Dane Elec. The Other upsell the included Nikon Lenses are junk, sigma are teh best and I will sell you trhe lenses without a conversion factor the kit lense was supposed to be:

Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 IF D Autofocus lense

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 AF Lense

they upsold me to Sigma "top of the line lenses"

sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 DG and Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG macro

and they dont have the "conversion factor"

I read most of the reviews and I might be stuck with the camera... wont know until I contact my bank card, and see what my rights are. After all I did agree to the price.

edit - I contacted my Bank and they cant do much... I'll email them and see what happens. It's tuff contactiung themduring the work week, I'm in the fab all day :sad:

Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:33 PM   #7

This situation with GREY MARKET goods being sold to UNSUSPECTING customers is BS.

If the "authorized" USA distributer was truly interested in protecting the consumer as well as their own bottom linse - INSTEAD OF simply REFUSING REPAIR TO GREY MARKET GOODS:

1) REFUSE TO sell "AUTHORIZED GOODS" to GREY MARKET Resellers & allow only NON-grey market resellers to be "Authorized Dealers.".

2) INSIST the MANUFACTURER use USA in the engraved seriel number on the product & the identification on the box, example: USA956729.

At least then consumers might know what their getting at the time of delivery - - not after a repair issue or product registration problem arises.

GIVEN USA DISTRIBUTERS hard-line POSITION ON GREY MARKET GOODS - THIS IS THE LEAST THEY COULD DO TO PROTECT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Until this is done - imo the USA distributors have at least a MINIMUM obligation to repair at customer cost any product problem. I don't believe this is sufficient, but at least a step in the direction of reasonably looking out for the consumer interest.

imo

Best.

copyright 2007

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:28 AM   #8

There isn't much Nikon can do about these knucklehead scam artists. They buy the stuff cheaper overseas and resell it. You can't prevent someone from buying your product. The whole refusal to service grey market goods is to protect profit margins in the various regions. With different exchange rates, taxes, tariffs and distribution costs, if they didn't use his system, distribution in certain regions of the world would lose their shirts as folks would just make their purchases in other regions.

The real way to shut these guys like expresscamera down is to stop buying from them. These posts about folks geting scammed or "should i buy from these guys" show up in the forums nearly every day. It's up to the customer to do their due diligence. If no one falls for these tactics, they go go away. I'm amazed at the number of people who will pay $150 for a battery that comes with the camera. People need to question how a vendor can sell a camera body 60-70% less than other retailers, or why every thing that comes with the camera is junk and needs to be upgraded. These tactics only seem to work in the camera industry, and I for the life of me can't understand why. If the deal is too good to be true, then it probably is. It's up to the consumer to protect themselves....do your research, ask questions and know what your buying. The info is readily available.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:44 AM   #9

rjseeney spot on there... with all online retail you gotta be very careful... thats why paying that little extra from your local camera store isnt so bad sometimes, I quite like having a local store i can go try stuff out first etc..
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:21 PM   #10

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
This situation with GREY MARKET goods being sold to UNSUSPECTING customers is BS.

-snip-
copyright 2007

I really do appreciate all the info and comments that everyine has given, lots of great info!

How ever I do want to comment on the above. I have NEVER heard of the term grey market until I started looking here for opinions and reviews which has been about 2weeks. I purchased from that place at the recommendation of a friend at work, who has never had a problem with them. I was warned of the upselling, and me being "new" got caught up in the sale. (his camera is a US camera, he was able to reg it at Nikon - I asked him about it this morning)

Hind sight is I was warned but didnt listen... Lesson learned :angry:

The real problem is that now I may be stuck with an investment that I cannot have repaired, should something go wrong with it. After reading

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

and nearly ALL the pages of complaints at reseller ratings, yes I fit into one of those reviews easily. And quite honestly it didnt hit me until everything was said and done. I had my purchase, they had my hard earned cash that fast.

They sold me on lenses without a conversion factor - now I know such an aminal does not exist. The kit lenses were supposed to be Nikon listed above instead got upsold on the "higher end Sigma brand" - didnt really understand that until I compared side by side; should have kept the kit lenses. I think the quality would have been better, again hind sight.

I got sold on 30minute battery line - and unwittingly bought a "high end5 hour battery & charger" - which was in reality the included battery. I honestly was expecting a high end battery and this was not clear until I had everything in hand, and noticed it was the "kit" included one.

how about the ultra fast $200 memory card, yes I saw some that were pricey, and this was one item that I at least expected to be a brand name (other then Dane).

In short I was an UNSUSPECTING Customernow reeling in buyers remorse because now I understand whats going on, and after reading the reviews. It's likely there isnt much I can do, because fact is they have my money and getting it back will be a chore. I have a system that works just fine, could be better (aka lenses, mem card, serviceable etc)

I think it's best that I put this all behind me and chalk it up to experience and start to enjoy my camera, instead of wallowing in the bad uneducated choiceI made. (uneducated in the fact of the reseller I chose, not in my choice of camera. Been reading up on Canon and Nikon since we got our bonus in January).

-Rich