Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi ,there .

Rick here, just found this site and joined,as I just ordered a Nikon D80 today.

went to the shop with the Canon 400D in mind ,after much pondering it came down to the Rebel,or the D80.

I was going for the rebel on price and getting the 18-55 and the 55-200 lenses.

But when I got to the shop to handle them I just did not like the feel of the Rebel.

asked to handle the D80 and fell in love.

Always wanted a Nikon when I was into 35mm,but to dear for me.

I,m getting the D80 with the 18-135 lens and spare battery.

I,ve got 4 1Gb sd cards already,(I have a Canon S3IS p&s)

hope to pick up a lot of tips,Please be patient with any silly questions,as am pretty new to Digital.....Rick..:?
towershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:04 PM   #2

Hi Rick, I recently purchased the d80 with the 18-135mm kit lens

great piece of kit, I also bought the 67mm ultra violet filter

I was talked into it by the salesman, as it safeguards the lens

from accidental scratches. so well worth considering as an extra.

the firmware update though only seems to apply to north america

I wasn't able to download it, I think because mine was bought in Europe.

or maybe there was only a problem with the north American release

of the camera. and of course the 32bit prog is only available to PC's

running on 'Windows Vista'. I'm sure though you'll have a lot of fun

with it when it arrives musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:39 PM   #3

Thanks Musket, I always used to put a UV filter on for protection, I,ll invest in a multicoated one,In the U.K myself...Rick,,p.s, running XP so no luck there...
towershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

I just got a D80 with 80-400VR. It's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. :?

My initial question is about the custom settings (in-camera) for sharpness, saturation, hue, etc. Is a "lower" sharpness setting more like what the sensor records, or does it mean the image actually smoothed a bit? What saturation and hue settings are going to be closest to the natural colors? Or are these things so arbitrary that it's difficult to say?

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:33 AM   #5

musket wrote:
Quote:
and of course the 32bit prog is only available to PC's
running on 'Windows Vista'.
Firmware update for D80 is compatible with the following platforms:
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit version)
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit version)
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit version)
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit version)
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit version)
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows Me
    [/*]
  • Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)
    [/*]
If you have a European model, just register on the European site & download it there:

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...?p_faqid=20685

Keith.

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6
rey

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
I just got a D80 with 80-400VR. It's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. :?

My initial question is about the custom settings (in-camera) for sharpness, saturation, hue, etc. Is a "lower" sharpness setting more like what the sensor records, or does it mean the image actually smoothed a bit? What saturation and hue settings are going to be closest to the natural colors? Or are these things so arbitrary that it's difficult to say?

For the most part it is arbitrary depending on your personal taste, but the camera also has it's behavior that you may not like. So if the camera tend to not saturate the colors as much as you want, then you can boost that.

But as far as I know, these settings are only applied to JPG. I shoot RAW, so I don't worry about these, and I suggest you should shoot RAW also. That way the only thing you worry about is exposing the scene correctly. You can then add the saturation you want later. Also, I've read of people that apply different sharpness depending on their targeted print/viewing size. So they actually don't sharpen the image until they need to.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:23 PM   #7

Thanks Keith I was able to download

the firmware update and install it in just a few mins with the fully

charged battery each update only took about 1 minute to load

into the camera from the card.

The 32 bit prog I was refering to

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Nikon_RAW_Codec.htm

is only being made available to 'Windows Vista' musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:16 PM   #8

Hi,

I too am a recent new owner of the D80. It's my first dslr (I have a drawer full of slrs which probably won't see the light of day again).

I just want to say "ditto" to everything you said about the cam. It's my pride and joy and I haven't put it down since I got it. It's just wonderful.

I'm still experimenting but from the stuff I've shot so far, I think I'll be hanging onto it for a l-o-n-g time. I love everything about it.

I was going to go for the Canon as well. I did the handling test and there's just no comparison in my opinion. And I too have always wanted a Nikon. They look great, feel great and I think I'm taking very lovely pics.

So good luck to you and welcome to the Nikon club!!

PatoG

PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:12 AM   #9

rey wrote:
Quote:
bkrownd wrote:
Quote:

For the most part it is arbitrary depending on your personal taste, but the camera also has it's behavior that you may not like. So if the camera tend to not saturate the colors as much as you want, then you can boost that.

But as far as I know, these settings are only applied to JPG. I shoot RAW, so I don't worry about these, and I suggest you should shoot RAW also. That way the only thing you worry about is exposing the scene correctly. You can then add the saturation you want later. Also, I've read of people that apply different sharpness depending on their targeted print/viewing size. So they actually don't sharpen the image until they need to.

Good Luck!

Sorry to double quote Rey, but if you shoot RAW (which I'm starting to do) does it matter what colour 'space' you shoot in ie: IIIa, 1a or II (Adobe)? Ta!

edit: Oh and Rick, congrats on your new camera! You'll love it!

-Jacques

Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Sorry to double quote Rey, but if you shoot RAW (which I'm starting to do) does it matter what colour 'space' you shoot in ie: IIIa, 1a or II (Adobe)? Ta!
No - you can change colour space in Nikon Capture as well. Raw is literally the sensor data with no processing at all.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote