Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:10 PM   #1

I just got my D80 last week and have been learning the camera. Tonight I picked it up to play with some options and had a problem. I turned it on but the rear LCD will not turn on. Usually the 'Menu' button turns the screen on immediately. Not this time.

Then I noticed some other odd behavior:
  • Autofocus is not working -it is on but it's not working when I attempt to take a photograph (even in full auto mode)[/*]
  • When I turn the camera on it goes through a series of odd steps. The focus light goes on immediately (which didn't happen in any previous use) and the lens attempts to focus at anything and the flash pops up -all without me touching a single setting.
    [/*]
Scanning through the manual I found the reset button near the USB panel. I tried that twice but had no luck. I have also tried removing the battery. No luck. The battery has a full charge and my SD card appears OK.

Any suggestions?
iCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:52 PM   #2

Is the lens properly seated ?

take the commanddial off Auto (or out of macro !!!!) and move to say 'p' - does the flash then still automatically pop up?

Is your manual / auto button set to Auto ?

Are any of your buttons sticking ?
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:49 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your suggestions. At this point I'm willing to try anything.

Quote:
Is the lens properly seated ?
I didn't think of that. Just tested it and yea, it feels like solid contact.

Quote:
take the commanddial off Auto (or out of macro !!!!) and move to say 'p' - does the flash then still automatically pop up?
Interesting. Auto (and some of the auto sub-modes like portrait) are the only modes which initiate the flash to automatically pop up at start-up. No flash pop-up on any of the manual modes. However, the manual modes still exhibit the other start-up oddities (the focus light comes on immediately, the lens immediately attempts to focus, and then auto focus does not work when attempting to shoot images).

Quote:
Is your manual / auto button set to Auto ?
Both the switch on the lens and on the body are set to auto. One of the few body controls which seems to work is the top AF button. I can select the different AF modes but none actually function.

Quote:
Are any of your buttons sticking ?
Not that I can tell. I took the time to push every button and they all feel OK to me.

I guess I just have a dead D80. It's just so weird that it functioned fine out of the box and for the next 5 days. I did nothing to it (no drops, I didn't even start playing with the LCD menu settings so I couldn't have "hurt" anything there). I just picked it up on day 6 and ZAP! Dead camera.

I don't get it.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can help figure it out.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:09 PM   #4

Update:

I called Nikon and they had no idea what may have caused the problems. They suggested I ship it to them for warranty repair.

I opted instead to take it back to the camera shop. The two clerks who helped me were shocked by the camera's behavior. They could offer no explaination why this occured. They hapily swapped out the body for a new one.

I'm happy to have a working camera back. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else's Nikon.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:16 PM   #5
Dig

I had the exact same thing happen to my D80 about 3 weeks after I had bought it. The autofocus stopped and some fo the other behavoirs that you mentioned also were the same on mine.

I bought it at Circuit City and the too swapped it out for a new on.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:41 PM   #6

Glad your story had a happy ending. I have a grey-market camera and if it develops any problems, I'm going to have a major headache! I bet you're glad you bought from a reputable dealer who did the right thing with your camera.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote