Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:00 PM   #1

The skin tones are coming out too red..I am processiing from Raw..is there a camera setting to correct the skin tones..I know I can do it with photo shop etc, but how about correction in the camera..
jess russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:33 PM   #2

Raw means just that, any camera settings such as white balance, sharpening, or contrast are ignored when taking the image.

What are the lighting conditions when you take the picture, daylight, incandescent, flash, etc? This may be affecting the final white balance. You could try having a known white or neutral gray object in the frame and use your raw converter eyedropper tool to balance to that to see if that improves the skin tones.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:26 AM   #3

Bob,, thanks for the info.. maybe if I do not take in the raw that would cure the problem.. I will try today..I print lots of 13x19 was one reason for the raw and tiff..is that the right approach or what
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:41 AM   #4

Shooting jpeg with a custom white balance should be almost as good as shooting raw and adjusting the white balance in the raw converter but you may introduce compression artifacts that could show in a large print.

You need to study what is causing the reddish tones, for example do you have mixed lighting sources in the scene such as incandescent lighting and daylight from an outside window? Situations like these make it difficult to get a good white balance and will require additional post processing to correct if possible.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:34 AM   #5

just been shooting in auto white balance.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:38 PM   #6

Auto white balance generally has problems with indoor shots. Is that where you are shooting?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:37 PM   #7

Notice the red more out in the daylight...I did the white balance for daylight and then one for flash insideand I could not tell that it got rid of much of the red skin.

Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:47 PM   #8

Remember that the white balance is recorded with the raw image but doesn't affect it. Does your raw converter pick up on this data? I use Adobe Raw Converter and it has an option to use that setting or use the eyedropper tool on a white or gray object in the frame. How are you converting?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:06 PM   #9

I am using Nikon capture nx..really not doing much with it except to open my raw pics then take them to adobe..wish I knew better how to use the nx..

jess
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

Sorry, I don't have Capture NX so can't direct you. I use Photoshop Elements 5.0 with the included Adobe Camera Raw plugin and seem to be getting good results from my D70s.