Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:05 AM   #1

My friend keeps saying "get a prime lense...... get a prime lense....... "

OKAY! now I'm confused. I currently have a:

sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4DG and a sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro

I think it would be good to get something in a lower range (sorry about the verbage) so I'm looking at 17-135mm or 18-200mm, with a price range of about $3-400. My friend at work is recommending something like 17-35mm

Can someone help me figure out a "prime lense". (I'm guessing that it's a lense I will use nearly all teh time). I shoot all sorts of things from protraits, sports to scenery.

Also how can I tell if the lense is fully compatible with a D80.

Brand-wise I'm looking at Sigma, Tamaron or Nikon in case thats important to know.

Thanks

RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:32 AM   #2
Administrator

A prime is a fixed focal length (non zoom) lens. As a general rule, they'll be smaller, lighter and sharper compared to a zoom for any given focal range and aperture.

You can also get much brighter primes than you can with a zoom.

A good starter prime that can come in handy for low light would be something like a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF lens. It would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera, and it's more than twice as bright as an f/2.8 zoom like your Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

It's about $100

Then, go wider and/or longer later after you have better feel for your needs (35mm, 85mm, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:50 AM   #3

If your happy with your current lenses - why get anything? Other than wide-angle, you have the focal lengths covered.

If you need (want?) a prime lens, something faster would offer you greater low light w/o flash opportunities.

Sigma has a 30mm f1.4 (45mm equiv) that may be a nice fast prime for your collection.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:23 PM   #4

After I posted this I was thinking ( a bad sign LOL) while I'm looking at lenses. What should I be looking for when it comes to a wide angle lense.

Thanks

RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:56 AM   #5

For cropped sensor cameras like Nikon & almost everything else on the market, truly wide-angle primes are virtually non-existant. The popular wide angle zoom choices include Nikon (5 yr warranty) & Tokina (3 yr warranty) both with a 12 - 24mm f4, Tamron (6 yr warranty) 11 - 18mm f4.5-5.6, & Sigma (1yr warranty) 10 - 20mm f3.5-5.6. The 35mm comparable focal length (with conversion) equals the focal length x 1.5. So for example, the Nikon/ Tokina 12 - 24mm x 1.5 = a 18 - 36mm in 35mm or full-frame sensor terms.

After much research & some limited hands on, I selected the Tokina 12 - 24 & am extremely pleased with it. Others seem to like their Nikon's, or their Sigma"s. I like the Tokina/Nikon's effective focal length of 18 - 36mm - imo & shooting - a good "all around" lens choice, as well as a nice wide-angle lens.

I haven't heard too much about the Tamron, but I'd bet it's a fine choice as well.

Best.

imo
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote