Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:10 PM   #11

rodmeister wrote:
Quote:
fastglass wrote:
Quote:
Nah. They seem to be going hard after the big volume & growth end of the slr business - the point & shoot move-up consumer.

But I hear ya - I'm a long time Nikon loyalist myself & I don't care at all for the lens limitations of the D40 twins. Too bad, because other than the lens compatability problem & hot color bias - they look like nice cameras.

Best.

I've never owned a DSLR, but can't you easily fix the 'hot color bias' by dialing down the 'saturation' control?

Good point about the compatibility problem, especially for long time Nikon owners with lenses. For a predominantly P&S and only occasional serious photographer like myself, I'm willing to accept the lens limitation for the compactness and ease of use of the new D40x. I plan to get the 18-200VR lens anyway.

In this type of discussion about the merits of a new camera, I hate those who essentially are saying: "This camera does not fit my particular needs so it's junk". What arrogance that the manufacturer should only create cameras for theself acclaimed purist! (I'm not referring to you fastglass - you understand that the D40x will meet the needs of those moving up from P&S.)

My generation used to say, "Different strokes for different folks." The multiplicity of DSLR models, compared to the limited selection of SLRs in its heyday, allows photogs to chose a model that comes closest to their perceived needs.

i made my jump to dslr last yr. honestly, if i made it this yr, i might be looing at this very cam but after one year of using my d70s and some superb non af-s lenses, i can't consider getting this cam anymore.

while nikon is catering this cam purely to pns jumpers, if u're really into it, u might feel disatisfied pretty fast and would be looking to upgrade in the short term.

just my 2 cents
clemong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:27 AM   #12

I would agree the vast majority of current Nikon DSLR users wouldn' t (or shouldn't be) interested in either of the D40 sister cameras. The lack of a focus motor is limiting, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of consumer users never buy more than one or two lenses, and will never learn everything there is to know about the camera, let alone outgrow it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:55 PM   #13

i think nikon made a really good stepforward by introducing D40 to the market. it lacks autofocus, but its cheap ! thats why it became popular i think.

Probably D40x will become popular too, but not as much as D40, because its not a cheap camera.

ican't see the point of releasing that camera.

echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:16 PM   #14
Administrator

echinacea wrote:
Quote:
i think nikon made a really good stepforward by introducing D40 to the market. it lacks autofocus, but its cheap ! thats why it became popular i think.
It doesn't lack Autofocus. It just won't Autofocus with lenses that don't have a built in focus motor. ;-)

It will Autofocus with Nikkor AF-I or AF-S lenses. It will also Autofocus with Sigma EX series lenses that have HSM (and not all EX lenses have HSM).

It just won't Autofocus with the vast majority of third party lenses, and AF-S lenses and Sigma's HSM lenses are more expensive than many other alternatives (and you also lose the ability to use a number of Nikkor lenses like some of the brighter primes that you may want to use in lower light).

So, the lower cost camera body could end up costing you more money in the long run (because you'd need to go with more expensive lenses), and you wouldn't have some of the brighter primes available either.

As long as you're happy with the idea of giving up Autofocus with lenses that don't have a focus motor built in, it would be an option.

Personally, I'd buy a different body. If someone was going to go with Nikkor AF-S lenses anyway, then it would be an option to consider (just not for me, even if I went with AF-S lenses, since I'd want the better AF system with more focus points like the D50 or other available bodies would have).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote