Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:17 AM   #1

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/nikon_03052007_d40x_pr.html

Looks like Nikon's done it again.

Looking forward to Steve's in-depth evaluation.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:04 PM   #2

by 'done it' do you mean screwed up again?
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3

This looks more like a true D50 replacement. With the higher resolution, it should compete favorably with other entry level cameras. Also, I see it less likely that another body will be released to slot between the D40 and D80.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:30 PM   #4

Hmm,

I wouldn't say it's a D50 replacement. I would say it's the true D40 that Nikon should have released in the first place as it reflects the newer technologies found in the D80.

It's each to their own really. I would still take a D50 over a D40x due to lack of internal drive motor, only 3 AF points, and no AE bracketing. Personally, the D50 has better ergonomics for me as well...

But that's just me...!

For those with a D40, if you like it, shoot with it! :|

Jacques.

Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:00 PM   #5

Looks like Nikon finally made a DSLR I want to buy. I've been waiting to jump into DSLRs but have been put off the high price of the D80. And despite the admonition against higher pixels,I wanthigher resolution than my old 8MP Nikon 8400.

The price is right. Since DSLR's are basically disposible cameras given the high rate of development, I don't want to spend a $1000 for the D80, but the less featured D40 is perfect for my needs.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:06 PM   #6
Administrator

rodmeister wrote:
Quote:
The price is right. Since DSLR's are basically disposible cameras given the high rate of development, I don't want to spend a $1000 for the D80, but the less featured D40 is perfect for my needs.
Make sure you factor in your desired lenses into the cost equation.

Depending on what your lens requirements are, the D40 or D40x could end up costing you more money because of the need to go with lenses that have a built in focus motor (if you want Autofocus), since the vast majority of third party lenses, and a number of Nikkor lenses (including inexpensive primes like the 50mm f/1.8 ) will not Autofocus on these cameras (D40, D40x). So, you take a lot of inexpensive lenses away from your lens options if you want AF.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:12 AM   #7

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
by 'done it' do you mean screwed up again?
Nah. They seem to be going hard after the big volume & growth end of the slr business - the point & shoot move-up consumer.

But I hear ya - I'm a long time Nikon loyalist myself & I don't care at all for the lens limitations of the D40 twins. Too bad, because other than the lens compatability problem & hot color bias - they look like nice cameras.

Best.

imo
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:09 AM   #8

i think this is great. how many times have we heard/read people complain, "i'd rather have less megapixels..." or "i don't need..." or "why doesn't it have a more mp like the ___..."? well, now we have a camera whose manufacturer gives the users a choice of sensor in essentially the same body factor. for those who need more, the 40x; for those where 6mp is sufficient for their needs, a less expensive 40. i think it works out great for the end user.

http://www.fotop.net/dave
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:58 PM   #9

A Nikon VR lens for $249.. see PMA video on uTube
This 40x has a lot going for it, in that the menus are apparently of bigger type
and those of us who have to squint or use glasses might actually enjoy this
I think this may be a better upgrade for me, can't wait for Steve or omeone here to actually get a review
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:51 PM   #10

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
Nah. They seem to be going hard after the big volume & growth end of the slr business - the point & shoot move-up consumer.

But I hear ya - I'm a long time Nikon loyalist myself & I don't care at all for the lens limitations of the D40 twins. Too bad, because other than the lens compatability problem & hot color bias - they look like nice cameras.

Best.

I've never owned a DSLR, but can't you easily fix the 'hot color bias' by dialing down the 'saturation' control?

Good point about the compatibility problem, especially for long time Nikon owners with lenses. For a predominantly P&S and only occasional serious photographer like myself, I'm willing to accept the lens limitation for the compactness and ease of use of the new D40x. I plan to get the 18-200VR lens anyway.

In this type of discussion about the merits of a new camera, I hate those who essentially are saying: "This camera does not fit my particular needs so it's junk". What arrogance that the manufacturer should only create cameras for theself acclaimed purist! (I'm not referring to you fastglass - you understand that the D40x will meet the needs of those moving up from P&S.)

My generation used to say, "Different strokes for different folks." The multiplicity of DSLR models, compared to the limited selection of SLRs in its heyday, allows photogs to chose a model that comes closest to their perceived needs.

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote