Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:26 PM   #1

After scouring the forums, I decided to try to get to the bottom of my d80 issue. I have a 4GB card, and it worked beautifully with the camera since I got it (around Christmas). However, the other day, I went to take a photo and the camera gives me the "Cannot use this card" message. I know the card used to work, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to get my photos off without going to a data recovery service. Any help would be appreciated.
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:14 PM   #2

Cadgear,

(1) can the D80 still review the card ?

(2) have you tried a card reader ?

(3) have you accidently knocked the locking switch on the SD card itself ?

sorry - no other ideas
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:19 PM   #3

By the way, I recently boughta Lexar Pro 1GB card and it hadfree recovery software installed on it. I don't know whether that was a promotion or whether it is a constant.

I can't vouch for the software, but it may be an alternative to paying for a recovery service.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:30 AM   #4

I just had this happen to me again with a Sandisk 4GB card. About three times total. The camera locked up after about 120 or so JPGs and had the CHA in the window and can't use this card on the back. Couldn't review images, or take new ones. I finished the day with a 2GB card and worried about my 120 images all the way home. Plugged the camera into the computer and it downloaded all but the last three. I have talked to sandisk about the card and they sent me the common things to try. I will try them this weekend and see if I can repeat the issue. So try downloading them from the camera, it worked for mine even with the "can't use this card" message. More than once now I have to add. I don't know if it's a card issue or a camera issue. Seems when it happened I was mashing buttons on the back with an image displayed, so it could have been me.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:11 AM   #5

1) Nope, won't read from camera
2) Yup, tried a card reader
3) Nope, it's unlocked.

I tried reviewing from the camera to a PC but to no avail. Might I have to send this one out to be recovered?

Thanks for all your help...
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6

Other ideas:

Have you tried the card in a card reader connected to your computer? Have you tried reading the card connected to a PC running Windows, a PC runing Linux and a MAC?

If connected to a PC have you checked the card for errors or tried reformatting?

When you connect the card and card reader to your computer - what happens? Does the computer recognized the card?
Attached Images

joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:27 AM   #7

Here d load and try this http://www.softwarepatch.com/softwar...trecovery.html

Its free. :-)
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote