Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:02 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Default

I am planning to invest on lenses for the Nikon D80.Since I am short of money (for multiple lenses) and I am interested in a variety of photography which include macro to potraits to telephoto my friens suggests that instead of a micro 60mm lens for macro I buy the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Zoom lens and Tiffen 67mm Close-up Filter Set with +1, +2 & +4 Macro Lenses 9filters) to make my own macro kit of of the above said lens!
How good would tht setup be for macro? would the quLITY at 1:1 be as good as that of the 60mm micro nikor?
Where do I lose out if I do not buy the micro nikor lens (60mm) and buy this tepephoto + filter combo?
Also, if you suggest that I do buy the micro nikor then whould I buy the Nikor 60 mm of the Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM macro DG D
becaue the nikon 100 mm equiv is far more priced. This lens from sigma sems to have excelelnt reviews.
amitr0
amitr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 215
Default

amitr0 wrote:
Quote:
I am planning to invest on lenses for the Nikon D80.Since I am short of money (for multiple lenses) and I am interested in a variety of photography which include macro to potraits to telephoto my friens suggests that instead of a micro 60mm lens for macro I buy the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Zoom lens and Tiffen 67mm Close-up Filter Set with +1, +2 & +4 Macro Lenses 9filters) to make my own macro kit of of the above said lens!
How good would tht setup be for macro? would the quLITY at 1:1 be as good as that of the 60mm micro nikor?
Where do I lose out if I do not buy the micro nikor lens (60mm) and buy this tepephoto + filter combo?
Also, if you suggest that I do buy the micro nikor then whould I buy the Nikor 60 mm of the Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM macro DG D
becaue the nikon 100 mm equiv is far more priced. This lens from sigma sems to have excelelnt reviews.
amitr0
I don't have the 70-300VR, but I do have the 60mm Micro, 70-300 ED and a 6T (3 dioptre). I did some tests last year for someone asking a similar question. At 300mm with a 6T the magnification is similar to the 60mm Micro (i.e. 1:1). The quality is not as good, and I find the 300mm combination more difficult to use. Here are some 100% crops at 1:1, untouched, with setting similar (1/400s f8 ).

Keith.

300mm with 6T

Attached Images
 
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 215
Default

60mm:
Attached Images
 
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

If macro is your main interest, a dedicated macro lens is your best bet. THe 70-300 Vr is by all accounts a great lens, but the Nikkor micro lenses are among the best macro lenses available for any camera system. The 60 is wicked sharp, and can double as a good portrait lens, although focusing is a bit more cumbersome with macro lenses when used as a normal lens. Vr is less effective at closer focusing distance, and throwing the closeup filters on will make images even softer.


rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ReneB3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 193
Default

I have never used the diopters on a 70-300 but I have used them on my 18-70 and was never really pleased with the results. I bought a used (and old) 50mm Sigma for about $100 and it produces similar results to the 60mm Nikkor. I have used the diopters for years on digital cameras before the removable lens SLR became affordable and was happy with the results. So if $$$ is the concern use them for now and keep your eyes open for a good macro you can afford later.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Default

thanks everyone for your replies!!! the sample pictures really help too.

between the Nikor 60mm lens and the sigma 150 (http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/...ikon/index.htm)

FOR MACRO WHICH ONE IS SUGGESTED?

amitr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:19 PM   #7
rey
Senior Member
 
rey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 949
Default

amitr0 wrote:
Quote:
thanks everyone for your replies!!! the sample pictures really help too.

between the Nikor 60mm lens and the sigma 150 (http://photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_150_28_nikon/index.htm)

FOR MACRO WHICH ONE IS SUGGESTED?
Both lenses received good reviews. But there's a big gap between the two's focal length. If you are planning on shooting small insects or bugs, then you may be better off with the longer Sigma 150.

Another lens I want to bring up is the Nikon 105VR. It too has gotten good reviews.

Be sure to checkout pbase.com for pictures taken with these lenses to see what others has done with them.

FYI, I don't have any of these lenses, but I am saving up for the 105VR.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:32 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Default

rey wrote:
Quote:
Both lenses received good reviews. But there's a big gap between the two's focal length. If you are planning on shooting small insects or bugs, then you may be better off with the longer Sigma 150.

Another lens I want to bring up is the Nikon 105VR. It too has gotten good reviews.

Be sure to checkout pbase.com for pictures taken with these lenses to see what others has done with them.

FYI, I don't have any of these lenses, but I am saving up for the 105VR.
yeah i heard of that nikon 105 but it is too expensive! beyond my current means.

can u explain the adv of a larger focal length of the sigma? If I understand correctly. it means that the closest I can focus from is 150mm from the subject? Which is 15 cms, right?

ALso I plan to shoot a variety of objects, like microprocessor pins, CRT pixel resolutions. Well those should n't matter whether it is 60mm nikor o 150 mm sigma as they are lifeless, am I correct?

So going by this, if the further u are away from the bug it is easier to shoot it holds, and i have macro at 150mm then sigma should be better than nikon 60mm and nikon 105 mm too!!!

please tell me whether I am wrong/
amitr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 215
Default

amitr0 wrote
Quote:
yeah i heard of that nikon 105 but it is too expensive! beyond my current means.

can u explain the adv of a larger focal length of the sigma? If I understand correctly. it means that the closest I can focus from is 150mm from the subject? Which is 15 cms, right?

ALso I plan to shoot a variety of objects, like microprocessor pins, CRT pixel resolutions. Well those should n't matter whether it is 60mm nikor o 150 mm sigma as they are lifeless, am I correct?

So going by this, if the further u are away from the bug it is easier to shoot it holds, and i have macro at 150mm then sigma should be better than nikon 60mm and nikon 105 mm too!!!

please tell me whether I am wrong/
I will speak against the tide of popular opinion and suggest the shorter focal lengths. I have the 60mm micro and have had it for years. In some respects the crop factor makes the focal length a little too long under some circumstances. As a general purpose lens, 60mm is more use than 150mm. If I am shooting a part of a PCB and then want the whole PCB, it is not handy if I either have to change lenses or my tripod isn't tall enough.

I find the shorter lengths easier to handhold, even at macro distances.

The perspective of longer focal lengths will be flatter than 60mm.

The 150mm is considerably heavier than the 60mm.

Longer lengths cost more.

The only arguement for the longer lengths seems to be working distance for bugs. While that is theoretically true, in practice I have not found it a big issue. I have had problems photographing a Silver Y Moth even with 300mm because the sound of the mirror flipping up scared it away! I have lots of bugs taken with the 60mm. Skittish creatures are gone when you get within a couple of yards of them.

Keith.
Attached Images
 
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:31 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Default

thanks for the reply keith!

What lens and camera combo was used for the attached picture????

BTW, is the inbox lens for the D80 a good deal? Or should I go ahead buy the body and buy some other lens as the default lens?


amitr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:55 PM.