Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2007, 3:29 AM   #11

Tex,,,

I've been stewing over this one for a few weeks now, as to whether to buy a replacement or not. One or two replies seem to suggest that a lot of people just aren't too willing to "take the chance".. One reply stated "Why spend all that money on a good camera and then take a chance byskimping on such an important piece of equipment"...

Now while there is a good deal of common sense in that statement, I base my question, NOT entirely on cost. I can afford a hundred Nikon batteries if I had to get them, but sometimes replacements will do the job equally as good.. I have had good and bad experiences with these replacements and the actual reason I asked in here, was for an honest reply- Has anyone actually used one of them...!!!

The last bad experience I had was with a video camera which would not actually charge the replacemant battery because of an internal chip... The genuine battery cost abouttwice the price of a NikonEN-EL3E for a 2 hour rated battery - that's right - "twice" the price, no matter where I tried. That's aboutas close as it gets to pure robbery over the counter without the law intervening... So, I opted for one which cost about the same price as an EN-EL3E, only it didn't charge up in the original charger. At the time I couldn't get a charger for it as there were none around so I took it back and forked out the massive charge for the original. This time, if I can get awaywith it, I will use a third party one...

Just two questions for you...

1. Does the battery indicator go a bit crazy???

2. Does it charge up on your Nikon charger ok (presuming you are using that one)???
Nick-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 5:38 PM   #12

I purchased a D80 in December '06. In January, I started having problems -- I was unable to take a photo because the battery indicated a low charge. At first I thought it was a one-time thing, as turning it off and on fixed it. Then it happened again, and again. And it happened at very inopportune times. While at MacWorld in San Francisco, I showed a Nikon rep. The rep told me to contact Nikon and have it repaired. Once home, I did.

I sent the camera back, waited a few weeks, and the camera was returned. It worked fine for about three weeks, then the same thing happened. Although this time it was worse -- not only did I get an indication that the battery indicate low, but turning it on and off often didn't reset it. Depressed, I called Nikon again. I returned the camera. Surprising to me, about 2+ weeks later I received a replacement camera. Great. But, here I am, new camera, only three weeks into having it, and yesterday, while at a function, the same thing happened again.

I am a long time Nikon user and have never had such a problem. I will add that I did have a problem with my D70, but it was thoroughly and quickly repaired as part of a recall. In this case, both Nikon people that I spoke with in their tech department claim they never heard of any problem with the battery and claimed I'm the first person that presented it. I highly doubt it.

I am using the 18-200 VR lens which I understand *may* be a contributing factor. I also mentioned this to Nikon, but it didn't seem to matter.
Gloria1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:39 PM   #13

Nick

I thought I answered your questions in the previous post.

I have had no issues with the 3rd party battery

It charges fine in my charger that i got with my d50.

Yes my d50 charger is the same charger as the d80

And the battery does not cause the light to go crazy or the battery charger go crazy

I told you before the only differance i have found in the 2 batterys is the amount of pics I can get on the 3rd party one vs the ones i get on the nikon one.

I get at least 200 more pics on the 3rd party battery

So if yuou are scared to buy one then don't

But i have had no issues with it and I will remain using it until I do

Perry
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 5:49 PM   #14

I wonder what would happen if you use the MD-D80 grip with the battery tray and 6x 2500mAH NiMH's. There's no chip in there to give the battery charge state info to the camera... Also, I wonder what sort of actual life you would get compared the a genuine EN-EL3E, which is rated at about 1500mAH. That's a full 66.66~% (two-thirds) times the discharge capabilities, more...
Attached Images

fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:00 PM   #15

Same problem here. Tried lots of things to remedy problem including cleaning contacts on lens and body. Have two Nikon batteries always fully charged,18-200 Nikon lens. Taking lens on and off , shuting off and restarting camera, different settings. Lost track of all that I have tried, but nothing changed the inevitable low battery warning and loss of use . Very sad.
kmdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:22 AM   #16

Well, I am having the same problems with the false low battery thing. This weekend it happend again and the friend I was with told me to take a pink eraser and clean the contacts. I haven't been out since so I don't know if that has solved the problem, but from wht I have been reading it probably won't. I have also had a reading that the lens was not making contact or lose. Indicated by F-- on the contol panel on the top of the camera. I have a brand new Singma 18-200 OS lens that is about 6 weeks newer than the camera. I bought my camera late Oct 2007 in Regina Saskatchewan Canada. I do own 2 Nikon Li-ion batteries and I was hoping that it might be that the problem was with one of the batteries. I usually have both charged up before I go out so the seconed one is a back-up but I haven't been keeping track which battery was in when I was having problems. I have 3760 images taken on my camera since I bought it. I don't want to send it in unless they admit there is a problem because I don't have a back-up camera and I can't be without
I haven't tried to update my firmware, I was thinking about it but I don't really know how, so I would have to put a bit of time into finding out how to do that.
I bought this camera because there were such good reviews on it. Hopefully if anyone figures this out let us all know, PLEASE. Thanks

juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:45 PM   #17

Just bought my D80 last week, and I'm having the same low battery icon problem. Turning the camera off then on temporarily fixes it, but later it malfunctions again. Swapped battery at camera store yesterday, but problem still exists. I too have the Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I usedthis lens extensively on my D50, without problem. There's a new firmware upgrade on Nikon's site (1.10), so I'll try that. Otherwise...I'M PISSED!!!!
djjmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:29 PM   #18

My camera has the firmware update and it still does it. I will be sending mine in for repair somtime soon. I hope Nikon realizes there is a problem. I have also heard from another photographer that the D3 may have the same problems. So this is my info on my camera and batteries (which I do not think are the problem) Seriel number 5029584
Nikon EN-EL3e 7627F and 7702Q
Maybe Nikon needs to see this forum

Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:57 PM   #19

I installed the update last night, and it malfunctioned again today by taking a blank photo with the battery icon flashing.....BUT, I removed my lens and reinstalled it, and after about 300 shots it hasn't malfunctioned, so maybe the lens contacts are the culprit.:idea:
djjmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:38 PM   #20

So I did send a question to Nikon about this and also this link. I will let you guys know what transpires