Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 31, 2008, 6:59 PM   #21

I have had this problem. I bought the D80 last June. September my battery indicator would flash as if I had no power left, which couldn't be so because I had just charged the battery. I didn't get to take it into Nikon until December( I live near a Nikon service center). They looked it over for almost 3 weeks. When I got it back they said they couldn't find any problems, they replaced the batteries ( I gave them two) and the charger, and it worked for a while. It is now May, around one month ago, the exact same problem started to happen again. I will bring my camera to Nikon this week becasue my warranty will end soon. I am quite frustrated. I hope they will fix the problem
Darli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:47 PM   #22

The usual fix for this is to clean the lens-to-body electrical contacts. (carefully)

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:56 PM   #23

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, I've sent my D80 twice for service to Nikonand seems like they have no ideea how to fix it.

You should consider Canon ...
iripas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:31 PM   #24

Quote:
The usual fix for this is to clean the lens-to-body electrical contacts. (carefully)
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:38 PM   #25

For the past 6 months, the problem has been ever increasing in severity.
It is now to the point that I need to turn the camera on and off 4-5 times before it stops showing the Low Battery. It flashes F-- and low battery and the camera basically looks like it is going haywire.

At first. I thought the grip.
Removed the Grip. Installed a single battery. I rattled off a dozen shots.. No problem!
I turned the camera vertically to take a portrait shot. Bam. Low battery.
Ok. Not the grip. Put the grip back on.

I have a the heavy Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR on the camera 95% of the time.
Just before the low battery goes.. you can see and heartheglass shaking in thelens. Then poof. Low battery F-- message.

I put on the Kit 18-130mm.
Guess what. No more problems. I can shoot all day. NO low battery F--

I will try the lens contact cleaning (carefully) tonight.
Ottawaphotos.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:02 PM   #26

Motomaster Electronic Cleaner. AndTwo QTIPS.

Cleaned the actual contacts and the face of the metal rings.
Looked Clean. QTIPS were black.

Works like a charm now.

P.S. I know this may sound stupid but need to make sure someone doesn't just spray the camera.

Spray the QTIP. Not the camera.
Ottawaphotos.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:25 AM   #27

I bought my D80 in November, 2006 and had no problems until this spring when I first experienced false low battery warnings. The only things I could think of was that I purchased a Sigma OS lens.

I took the camera to my Wolf Camera outlet for warranty repair - we'll see what happens.

I really like to D80 (and the lens) - hopefully Nikon has this figured out.

On a related issue, has anyone bought a Mack extended warranty? My basic warranty expires this fall. I expect to keep the D80 for quite a while. Is the Mack a decent product?

Thanks - Muleman
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:54 AM   #28

Hi,

My D80 is experiencing the similar problem too.

Besides the false battery indicator (it's always displayed as FULL) and suddenly it will go flat without any progression on the indicator.

The same goes to the battery info displayed on the MENU too, most of the time it appears as 0.

Another problem is where the shutter speed will appear as LOW and the Aperture will appear as F--, the similar problem as Ottawaphotos.ca.

Anyone knows the fix, otherwise I'm quite concern that if we're to send it back to Nikon and the problem persists, then it's only a waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
SK
skthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:58 AM   #29

What's the proper way to clean the body to lense contact as I know that if it's not done properly, it will spoil the camera?
skthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:45 PM   #30

Hi again, Sorry I haven't told you what has been happening with me. I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the battery and lens and I haven't had any more problems. I cleaned then with a clean pink eraser on the end of a pencil. I would imagine rubbing alcohol on a q-tip might work also. Just be careful with anything you do use. I did talk to t rep from Nikon and he did tell me to send my camera in for service if the problem persists. My camera is still on warranty. So I am nearing the 7700 images taken with my camera.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote