Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:56 AM   #1

I just bought the Nikon D50 this past Sunday. I bought what they called an open box. But it was actually the display model. It was on clearance @ Circuit City and they had just sold out, so all that was left was the display. I took about 40ish pictures on Sunday and I was so wowed!!! All my pictures came out great!

Here's the problem I decided to do a bit of cleaning since it had set on the shelf collecting dust. Well I think I must have used too much of the cleaning fluid, Circuit City gave to me in the cleaning kit. I used only 4 or 5 drops. I don't know if you all can see this very clear or not but here is a link to one, picture I took this afternoon.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...269&size=o

The Pictures look all wet or smudged..or...I don't know what to call this.

Please can anyone help me????? I don't want to do anything else till someone tells me what to do. I am praying I did not damage my new baby.
I cleaned the mirror and whatever else I could wipe with my finger tip.

OMG I am so upset!

Thanks all for reading and responding.
Eye

eyescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:38 AM   #2

What part of the camera were you cleaning? I don't know the correct name for the effect you are seeing (solarisation?) but it looks like corrupted or defective data. It is not fluid on the sensor, but fluid could have got into some important contacts somewhere. It could be a memory card problem. Have you another card you can try?

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:13 AM   #3

It looks like the file has a limited number of colors. It looks more like a setting on the software or camera may be turned way down. That looks like a 16 color EGA file from back in the early PC days. I think you need to look at settings and not what you cleaned.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:36 AM   #4

I don't think the cleaning caused the effect you are seeing, but you should never attempt to clean the mirror, epsecially with lens fluid. The sensor is easy enough to clean, but you need the right tools..a quality blower, and sensor swabs and cleaning fluid. There are many tutorials on how to do this. Be aware the vast majority of dust a camera colects in regular use will not seriously affect image quality, and though it needs occasional cleaning, one need not obsess over it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:48 PM   #5

Yes I have another card....I check it later! Thanks~!!!!
Eye
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:53 PM   #6

My settings on are on Highest 32! besides this is a pic. I downloaded to the laptop as a second test. I had first took some and loaded them on the PC same problem on both pc's! As someone else said could be my card...in a way I hope it is! but sure hate to buy another one.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:59 PM   #7

The bad part is I didn't know better but what's worse the Nikon manual doesn't tell me how to clean or when oe what not to touch...nor did the stupid CD that came with cleaning kit from Circuit City!!!

Thanks Alll
Eye

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:09 PM   #8

ReneB3 wrote:
Quote:
It looks like the file has a limited number of colors. It looks more like a setting on the software or camera may be turned way down. That looks like a 16 color EGA file from back in the early PC days. I think you need to look at settings and not what you cleaned.
I meant to say before that I had reset the settings and that is why the pic on the laptop was a test run. Hoping it was something I had changed. Sadly it wasn't.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:32 PM   #9

I just looked at the picture again and downloaded the large one. I think you have the quality set to low as well as the resolution. It looks 800x600ish on my screen (I'm at work). Try setting your camera to JPG large, fine. and see if that works.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:46 PM   #10

Hi Rene I have it set to that I just cropped it so it wont take so long to load up to Flickr. I'm on dial-up Thanks!!

Anyone else with any ideas???